Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500 E709n
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP Officejet 6500 E709n printer.  I get the following error message when I turn the printer on:

"Ink system failure.  Please turn printer off and then on".

I then do as instructed and turn the printer off, but then each time I turn the printer back on, I get the same error message again.  The printer at that point is frozen up and none of the buttons on the printer work except the Power On/Off button.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @recooke,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I see you are unable to use your HP Officejet 6500 Wireless. You are getting a printer error to 'turn printer off then on again' which you have done with no success.

Please perform a Hard Reset:

1. Unplug all cables and memory cards from the printer.  Unplug the power cord, directly from the back of the printer while the printer is still turned on.

2. Unplug the other end of the cord from the power source.

3. If there is a power module on the power cord, disconnect one end and reconnect it.

4. After 60 seconds, plug the cord directly into a wall outlet ( not a surge protector or battery backup ).

5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.

6. The printer should automatically power back up.  If it doesn't, turn it on with the power button.

7. Try making a photocopy (if your printer is an all-in-one printer) before connecting any other cables to the printer.

8. Connect any other needed cables to the printer.

It is recommended that the printer is plugged directly to a wall outlet to ensure a consistent level of power.  Sometimes, when plugged into a surge protector or battery backup, the correct amount of electricity is not received by the printer.  Power issues can cause printing problems.  Being plugged directly into a wall outlet is especially important when experiencing wireless connectivity problems, sleep mode, and other power issues.

Any changes? 

If you are still seeing the error, please go to your inbox. I have sent you a Private message on the Forums. 

Reply back with the outcome. I hope this helps.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" up button.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @recooke,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I see you are unable to use your HP Officejet 6500 Wireless. You are getting a printer error to 'turn printer off then on again' which you have done with no success.

Please perform a Hard Reset:

1. Unplug all cables and memory cards from the printer.  Unplug the power cord, directly from the back of the printer while the printer is still turned on.

2. Unplug the other end of the cord from the power source.

3. If there is a power module on the power cord, disconnect one end and reconnect it.

4. After 60 seconds, plug the cord directly into a wall outlet ( not a surge protector or battery backup ).

5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.

6. The printer should automatically power back up.  If it doesn't, turn it on with the power button.

7. Try making a photocopy (if your printer is an all-in-one printer) before connecting any other cables to the printer.

8. Connect any other needed cables to the printer.

It is recommended that the printer is plugged directly to a wall outlet to ensure a consistent level of power.  Sometimes, when plugged into a surge protector or battery backup, the correct amount of electricity is not received by the printer.  Power issues can cause printing problems.  Being plugged directly into a wall outlet is especially important when experiencing wireless connectivity problems, sleep mode, and other power issues.

Any changes? 

If you are still seeing the error, please go to your inbox. I have sent you a Private message on the Forums. 

Reply back with the outcome. I hope this helps.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" up button.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I did the hard reset twice to no avail.  I then did the partial reset twice.  The first time did not work, but the second time did work and I eventually got this printer working again.  Thanks so much for your help on this printer.

I also have a non wireless printer (HP Officejet 6500 E709a).  I am having a paper feed issue.  When I try to copy or print something, it pulls a sheet of paper partially into the machine and then gives me the message to "Load paper, and then press OK".  It already has paper loaded into the tray and has pulled the first sheet partially into the machine.  If I press OK to the message, it just continues to repeat the message.  I have to press Cancel and then it will eject the piece of paper that is partially fed into the machine.  I tried both a Hard Reset and a Partial Reset on this printer as well to no avail.  Any suggestions you might have?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@recooke,

I am glad to here you are up and printing with your OJ 6500 E709n. 

As for the other OJ 6500 E709, I would continue here: Color or Black Ink Not Printing, or the Printed Page is Blank or Prints with Little Ink

Because you have already performed the resets with no success, I suggest doing a manual printhead cleaning which may help with the error the printer is getting. The instructions above will help you with this.

Let me know if this clears the error. 🙂

Thanks again,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I cleaned the print head as instructed by soaking it in hot water.  After drying, I reinserted the print head into the printer.  I then attemted to print a status report.  The printer began the print process by partially drawing a sheet of paper into the printer.  As the sheet of paper was about 2/3 drawn into the printer, an error message appeared stating "Load plain white paper in Main tray and press OK".  I already have plain white paper loaded properly in the tray and the printer has already drawn the top sheet 2/3 of the way insidae the printer.  So I press "OK" in reply to the error message.  The error message disappears for a few seconds and then reappears stating the same error message.  Nothing I do at this point seems to work.  So I press the "Cancel" button to cancel the print job, and then the printer ejects the sheet inside of it without any problem and returns to the "Ready" state.  It is like there is something wrong with the paper feed sensor system.  It doesn't seem to recognize that there is paper loaded in the tray and that it has drawn the top sheet 2/3 rds of the way into the printer already whenever I try to print something.  It does not appear to be a print problem with the print head, but a paper feed problem with the paper feed sensor system.   So that is where I am at currently.  Any further suggestions you might have would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Additional comment: When I say the printer pulls the top sheet of paper 2/3rds of the way into the printer, what I mean is it feeds that top sheet to the point where it should begin to print the first line of text.  But at that point, it stops and gives me the error message I mentioned earlier.  It never attempts to do any actual printing.  It just locks up at that point wanting me to Load paper when paper is already loaded into the tray.  So when I hit the "Cancel" button, it just spits out the piece of paper it already has fed into the printer.  No printing has ever been attempted by the printer, just partially loading the top sheet and then ejecting it upon my cancellation.  That is why I say it does not seem to be a print head problem, but a paper feed problem.

HP Recommended

@recooke,

I would like you to contact our technical support at http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank you for your persistence!!

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
I have tried this hard reset method. Unfortunately, it is keep showing same error, "ink system failure". Any other option?
Thanks.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.