Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Want my honest opinion?  Dump HP and get another name brand printer.  Make sure you get one that has less costly ink cartridges which should always be figured into the cost of these disposal-type printers.

Candidly, I DETEST my printer, but HP seems to have the market on the majority of printers, sold at all common computer store chains, and I don't have the money to replace mine at the moment.   Yet one more episode like today and it's going out with the trash on Wednesday.

I am so sorry my boastful, now humble, solution didn't work... 

HP Recommended

@LadyIrish wrote:

I have had this problem twice and I fixed it both times with the methods [snip 

• For added measure, use a blow dryer to remove all residue [snip] 

I would strongly recommend to *not* use a hair dryer to dry the cartridge.  The whole purpose of doing the soak is to eliminate clogs of dried ink or air in the printhead.  Blowing hot air onto the printhead could reintroduce air into the printhead or cause the printhead internals to dry out.  The other steps are OK, but changing the water is probably not necessary.  

I would recommend the procedure in the post here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Doctor_Dave wrote:

[snip]  I'd just really like to hear from HP about some other options for when cleaning the printhead, or replacing it with a new one, doesn't solve the problem. [snip]

Please be aware that this forum is a peer to peer support forum, it is not a direct link to HP support.  If you want to hear from HP you will need to Contact HP.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Bob. I knew that, but hoped they had someone monitoring their own "HP Support Forum"

I've contacted HP Support three or four times about this and gotten nowhere. They continue to step me through the normal steps in the manual. The printer is out of warranty of course, so they won't provide any support without an outrageous amount of money upfront to speak to someone in a foreign land who will just read me the same script over and over and offer to sell me a new printhead, which I've already bought. So there's little to be gained.

HP has basically sold me a $300+ piece of plastic that will work long enough to get past the short warranty period, then it's not longer their problem, and there's little any of us can do about it except stop buying their products. Even that's not much of an option with the dearth of competition in terms of quality of print and comparable features out there. It's quite frustrating!

Dave

HP Recommended

With so many people having this problem, why do they continue to sell this faulty machine?   {Content Removed: legal discussion} Before I bought this machine, I did some research and found positive results and did not know about this issue .  What a shame as I have always had good experience with printers from HP (recommened them to others) and presently own a laptop from HP that I am very pleased with.  My partner owns an officejet 8500a that I will use until I figure out what to buy next.  I would love to hear suggestions from others as to what compares with this one and maybe something that doesn't require so much ink. 

HP Recommended

Most definitely did not work. Now my printer won't print anything. Just the black ink failed before. Now, nothing prints. Ugh!

HP Recommended

I checked out the Canon product at the Costco where I bought my HP printer 6500 and noticed that they now have a 6700 HP.  The Canon requires an extra black cartridge whereas the HP 6700 is similar to the 6500 with 4 and  I do not want to buy extra ink cartridges.  I owned my 6500 for over 2 yrs and Costco took it back and refunded the cost which covered the total cost of the 6700 so I bought it.  I haven't set it up yet but am hoping that the newer version has corrected this problem.  If I had bought this anywhere else I would not have received my money back so highly suggest to anyone to make sure you buy somewhere that honors their products and refunds any returns.

HP Recommended

I had this SAME issue.  Bought this printer last summer (of 2011) and worked GREAT until recently.  I didn't notice if there was an HP update, and I run Windows XP.  Hadn't just changed the cartridges, but I don't print much so I had used only 1/4 of all colors and black.  It just quit printing black and pink.  So, I took out the printhead and tried to clean it.  LOTS of black gunk was on the print head.  I also wiped with a soft cloth on the corresponding contacts inside the printer to remove the excess ink gunked up.  Installed the printhead and ink cartridges and it printed (one page).  It started to run the alignment and then errors occured.  I removed it and tried to clean it again.  This time nothing.  Then I did it again, and it began printing everything but black.  Now it prints all colors for about the top 1/4 of a page and then it starts streaking the black.  I let it run through several cleaning and aligning steps and it's just not working right.

I will attempt to do a cleaning using what has been suggested in the water and hopefully that will fix it, but from the number of posts about this very same experience, it sounds like HP has an issue they need to resolve.

(Totally separate issue here: ) I also ordered a replacement printhead but I am overseas (we're military) and had nothing but problems using the HP Parts Store!  I despise those people!  My printhead order was conveniently canceled by them because they claimed I had an incorrect address, though I receive mail there all the time.  At least I know a replacement printhead won't work anyway!

Hope someone finds the fix for it and puts it in an update because it really sounds like a software issue to me.

HP Recommended

I really don't think it is a software issue.  I uninstalled and reinstalled.  I checked for updates.  I did the #3 and #9 reboot.  I cleaned the printhead via the hp printer and also in water. I changed the ink cartridge.  I did the alcohol on the Qtip to the contacts.  I did it ALL.  There appears to be an obvious clog in a place we can't get to even with the water soaking.  No one should have to go through all of this.   The BEST solution is to rid yourself of the headache and get a new one from a place that honors the product and gives a refund.  If the next one is a dud, repeat the process of exchange and refund.  Also, using AMEX gives you an automatic warranty.  Sometimes it's just easier to admit defeat and move on.  

HP Recommended

Dear Picardje,

I just noticed your post indicates you work for HP "although your posts and replies are your own."  Have you taken the issues outlined in this forum to the HP people that matter?

If you work for HP will you tell them to take a look at this forum (all 26 pages of it) and see the unaddressed outrage HP consumers feel about not only the 6500 printer but HP's warranties, service and maintenance?  

Thanks,

Joan

P.S.  If this isn't the 26 page forum on the 6500 there is one out there and also one with 7 pages.  Holy smoke!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.