Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (1,366 Views)

HP Officejet 6500 Wireless, How to network a laptop & desk top

My desktop is an HP Media Center PC.  I have installed a Officejet 6500 Wireless Printer.  It prints from my desktop, but I also want to print from 2 laptops.  How do I connect those.  The laptops access the internet off my Zoom wireless router, but I do not know if this makes them networked.  I really don't know what that means.  

Do I plug the printer's hard line into the router instead of the computer?  Will the desktop still print? 

Thanks so much.  I read many previous posts but did not find specific answers.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (1,362 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 Wireless, How to network a laptop & desk top

Yes, plug your printer into your router with an Ethernet cable!   You can get the software for each computer here.

This is a better solution than sharing a USB connected printer.  First, setting up a shared printer can be difficult and you can only share the printing, not scanning or faxing.

By the way, if you have a router, you have a network.  All devices on a network, whether connected by wire or wireless, can communicate with each other on the network.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (1,351 Views)

In addition to the ethernet cable attached to my router, do I keep the desktop PC connected to the printer directly or will it work wirelessly too?  When I download the drivers do I select Basic Print and Scan  or  the Full Feature Software & Driver?

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (1,343 Views)

If the desktop is connected to the router (wired or wireless, does not matter), it will be able to us the printer and scanner and fax.

I recommend the Full Feature Software and Drivers.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation