cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
karenfallon
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

HP Officejet 6500 Wireless Won't Print Black

HP Recommended

I have used this printer for a year with no problems.  I have changed ink cartridges in the past with no problems.  This time, after changing all the ink cartridges, the black ink will not print.  Any help available with this issue?  I have read the blogs and it does seem to be a problem with a number of users, but no solutions. Thanks

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
TabTreeJunkie
Level 1
16 8 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On of the problems that I see a lot is based around the fact that our printers are not ussually printing in black, but using the tri-color cartridge to make a dark grey type. This causes users to blast through color cartridges, and cash. The solution to this was found on another thread:

"I also have the OfficeJet 6500 and had the same problem. The black text was printing using a mix of colored inks instead of the black ink, resulting in a grey, fuzzy text. I finally found a solution. In each application under Page Setup, there is an option called "Format for". Mine had been set to "Any Printer". I changed that to "Officejet 6500 E709n [830E4A]" and now it prints the black just fine. I have a Mac running 10.4.11. Hope this helps."

I thank whoever originally posted that.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
amscdi
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the solution!!  It is not the printer (go figure), it is Adobe.  When using Adobe 10.1.2.  I found something on their site solutions which states that for 10.1.2, they have added a grayscale option, but it is not compatible with many HP printers.  It makes the printer only print in High Quality - with no option to print in Black Ink Only, even though you have that as your default printer preferences.  Delete the newest version of Adobe, and download Adobe Reader 9.5, and it will allow you to print in Black Ink Only. I don't think HP will be making a patch for this anytime soon, so this is the best option.  :generic:

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
mikehug
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too have the HP officejet 6500 and it won't print black.  I have tried replacing the printhead, deleting Adobe Acrobat 10.1, cleaned printhead as suggested multiple times, uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software, called and paid for tech support and still won't print black.  I have a new black cartridge and the other colors are 1/4 full after all the cleaning pages that were printed.  At first my problem was not finding the network but then the ink problem appeared.  The machine was one month out of warranty.  I'll never buy another HP printer, tech support was worthless, took control of my computer for 4 hours, downloaded all kinds of software and only spoke about 5 sentences to me.  Any suggestions?  I am ready to buy another brand printer real soon.

0 Kudos
Tags (3)
jemo
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The adobe solution is not a solution for me. Anyone have any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Nincia
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have similar problem....it is printing spotty.  thought it was due to low ink, so replaced the black ink.  all other levels are fine.  cleaned print heads, realigned, etc and still skipping print lines on anything that I print-but only black is doing this!  appreciate any help!!

0 Kudos
blochhead
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with no black printing. It also started after I changed my new color and black cartridges. This is unrelated to any software issues like Adobe settings as I can't even print from a Word doc. I've tried several new black cartridges and cleaned the cartridges a half-dozen times. I've done the cleaning through the printers toolbox on my computer (not done on the keypad on the machine). When you clean through this HP Solution Center interface HP offers two additional cleaning steps ("intermediate cleaning" and "prime") and I've taken those cleaning steps several times as well. They warn you that "prime" uses a lot of ink and so I'm assuming that prime forces ink through the cartridge heads to clean them, and so if my black cartridge was plugged or fouled that this would clean it out. But nooooo! I'm tempted to open the sucker up and see what openings the cartridges are spraying through above the paper.. I have nothing to lose as otherwise I'm spending $120 to buy a new HP. (I have $100 in HP cartridges and so it makes sense to buy another....ugh.....HP.)

Anyone ever beat this problem???

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Hangtown_George
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try the reset - it has worked for me: Keep the printer power on ON and pull the power plug out of the back.  While the plug is out wait about 15-20 seconds and press the #KEY and the Number3 key at the same time  and hold them down. While holding those two keys down, plug in the power cord.  The printer will come back on.

Do this before changing ink, or deleting any programs as suggested in other comments.  This comment above I found on an HP Forum.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Hangtown_George
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It really worked! Thanks!!
0 Kudos
jonno99
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Finally! after so many posts - this was the fix.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation