cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

HP Officejet 6700 Premium Issues everywhere.....

HP Recommended
Officejet 6700 Premium
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

To whom it may concern,

I have never used a forum before and apologize for anything I have done wrong in advance. I can only ask for your patience and direction.

I do not know where to isolate my search as it involves basically everything.

I have a Officejet 6700 premium that has caused me nothing but grief from day 1. I have had to alternate setups between the 3 (wireless, wired, and USB) to get anywhere, the support assistant is no help, print & scan doctor can't see the printer. I have downloaded latest drivers and updates, says installation successful, yet no trace of anything in installation folder. Windows sees it, but the HP software can't. I can print test from the static IP assigned each time, but software can't install. Swapped out cables, tried AiO remote. no go. Keeps changing IP addresses. Uninstalled everything, reinstalled, cleaned out everything disabled firewall, allowed through firewall. Stopped anti virus and anti malware. Cycled on and off, compatibility troubleshooter.........basically everything.

....help.....

My PC specs are: Windows 10 64 -bit Pro 

Asus M5A97 R2.0

AMD FX-8350 4Ghz Octocore (Black Edition)

32 GB Gskill Ripjaws 1866 mhz (14900) DDR 3 RAM (4X8GB)

Radeon 7850  MSI 2GB Graphics Card

Corsair 750W 80 Bronze PSU

3X2 TB Seagate HDD

1X3 TB WD External USB3.0

1X2TB WD Passport

Hope all this helps whoever may be kind enough to help.

Thanks in advance,

Darcy

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
DocCottle
Retired
Retired
5,028 4,829 404 709
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Anonymous,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are having some issues with printing from your Windows 10 PC to your Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-In-One Printer. I can help you with that, however I am going to need more information first. Please let me know the following:

1. How you want the printer to be connected to your PC.
  2. If you want the printer connected wirelessly or through an Ethernet cable, click on the wireless icon that looks like a radio tower and let me know what the first set of numbers is for the IP Address. For example, if the printer's IP Address is 192.168.1.5 then I just need to know 192.
  3. If an icon appears on your Desktop or anywhere else with a name similar to Officejet Pro 6700.
  4. What happens when you try to print.
  5. If you see any error messages on the printer or on the PC when you try to print.

Once I know this I will be better able to assist you.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Author
Not applicable
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What's up Doc?

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

Thanks for the hasty reply and warm welcome. I'll give you what I can. As of this moment, It is installed via Ethernet cable to our home network. I have had to steadily rotate the connections everytime I have to print. No joke...took me 3 days to print one page. The static IP for the printer at the moment is 192.168.1.80 and I have signed in via web browser (Chrome) with no trouble and printed diagnostic and test pages from there. I have uninstalled all HP software(Scan & Print Doctor as well as Support Assistant) The full feature software and basic driver versions do not install, and no icon appears. The Assistant constantly tells me the printer is not installed and to do so right away. Firmware update has been applied when we got the printer. I am printing through Windows !) database drivers at the moment. I have a strong suspiciion that it is in the HP software where the issue lies. From research online, it is almost impossible to do a "clean" install, as HP software is notorious for being hard to  "completely" remove. I even tried the predecessor to Scan & Print doctor, just to be sure. Uninstalled everything in safe mode and manually tracked down all "HP" entries on my system drive. I have also used various uninstallers  (IObit anfd Revo) as part of due dilligence. In "Devices and Printers" the detailed icon resembling the 6700 is gone or greyed out defaulting to Microsoft XPS. There are no error messages as the printer cannot be reached and I have to cancel the print jobs via the icon in the taskbar as it just locks up. I have swapped out working USB cables and Ethernet cables (Cat 5,5e and 6). Even hooked up and old Linksys E4200 to test network stability or communication issues. Such a shame as I have replaced ink as well. Frustrating to say the least. 

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi..........you're my only hope........

Thank you for your consideration,

Darcy

0 Kudos
DocCottle
Retired
Retired
5,028 4,829 404 709
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alright, here's what we will do:

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. While the printer is turned off, remove the power cord from the back of the router for one minute.
  3. When all the lights return on the router, turn the printer on.
  4. On your PC in the search bar type in printers and open Devices and Printers.
  5. Right-click on any icons of your printer listed.
  6. Click on Remove Device.
  7. Repeat for any other printer icons listed.
  8. Click on Add Printer.
  9. Select your printer from the list and follow the prompts to add your print queue to the PC.

At this point you should be able to print. If you are not, please let me know what happened while following my directions and I will be better able to assist.

Please let me know if you can print or if you have any other questions. Otherwise, have a great day!

If this resolves your issue, please help other users find this thread by clicking Accept Solution below my post.

If you appreciate my help, please let other users know by clicking the thumbs up icon below my post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Author
Not applicable
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the instructions, Doc!

Will attempt  your suggestions after my son goes to sleep tonight. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Darcy

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Author
Not applicable
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good afternoon Doc,

I followed your instructions. The was no Icon for my printer in "Devices and POrinters" there was only a file folder on end with the 6700 Officejet premium text below it. I "remove device" and nothing happens. I have no scan capabilities either. I hooked up a Brother MFC-j625DW to my PC wiith 0 hassle.  Its older by 3 years easy.  I just do not get it......any other suggestions?

Thanksd in advance,

Darcy

0 Kudos
sabretooth04
Level 14
21,074 20,455 1,540 3,516
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Keep the Brother.
0 Kudos
DocCottle
Retired
Retired
5,028 4,829 404 709
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The last post I made was an idea if there was a print queue setup already, it's not a problem if there was no print queue.

What we'll do then is manually clear out your print system. To do so:

1. On your PC in the search bar type in "Services" (no quotes) and click on Component Services.
  2. On the left side click on Services (Local).
  3. On the right side, scroll down to and right-click on Print Spooler.
  4. Click on Stop.
  5. Go to Computer, Local Drive (C:), Windows, System 32, Spool, and Printers.
  6. Delete everything in this folder.
  7. Return to the Component Services window.
  8. Right-click on Print Spooler.
  9. Click on Start.
  10. Return to the Devices and Printers window.
  11. Click on Add Printer to add a print queue for the printer.

Please let me know if you are able to add your printer now. If not, please let me know what happened while following my directions so I know how to continue.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Author
Not applicable
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I'd like to thank Sabretooth for taking the time to compose such an extensive piece illustrating both his hypothesis, and and detailed solutions.......

The thought had crossed my mind, but alas, it is not mine to keep 😞

As for the "spooler" recomendations by the good doctor, I stopped the services and tried to remove/delete device from the "Device and Printers" option. No joy. Folder remains and removal fails.

I have deconstructed/reconstructed my 2 level home network as well, for due dilligence. It's fine.

Time for DefCon 3, Doc. What is plan C?

Again, thank you for your time and effort in this matter.

Cheers,

Darcy

0 Kudos
DocCottle
Retired
Retired
5,028 4,829 404 709
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Something quick I came across was to make sure you are running Windows as an Administrator as it's possible you may not have admin rights to make changes. I thought to mention that before going back to fighting the print spooler.

The folder itself needs to be kept, it's just the contents that would need to be deleted.

The Print Spooler and the files in the printers folder are dependent on each other. If the Print Spooler is running then you won't be able to delete the files in the printers folder. If you stop the Print Spooler. you should be able to delete the files in the folder. If you are still unable to delete the files in the printers folder, restart your PC and try to remove the files again.

After you do so, if you start the Print Spooler and go to Devices and Printers, you may see the printer disappear from the list of available printers.

I found an article that may assist you with clearing the printers folder: How to Forcefully Clear the Print Queue in Windows. I found another article that may help if you are still unable to remove the files from the folder: Can't Delete Printer, Print Job, or Clear Spooler Folder. Both pages were created with older versions of Windows in mind, but the directions should be the same.

Failing the above, I would try running the Print and Scan Doctor one more time. If you still can't delete the files in the folder and you still have a greyed out printer in Devices in Printers, you may be looking at doing a repair of your operating system. There is one other thing that may work, but I would like to do some research on my end and I'm hoping the above works first.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation