cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
StevenKoster
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP Officejet 6700 Premium won't scan

HP Recommended
Officejet 6700 Premium
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Officejet 6700 has stopped scanning, and does not return much for error messages. 

Even using the manual control panel, selecting a PDF scan to an on-board USB stick, the 6700 reports that it is "Starting Scan..." and freees there until pressing the power key for a printer reboot. The red-x cancel button on the device does not cancel the "Starting Scan..." process. 

I find the same is true when trying to fax: I get a "Strating Fax" message and it freezes. Both situations seem to be about the time the device would initiate the scanning hardware. 

The device has the latest firmware, and I have updated the HP software on my PC. I ran the HP troubleshooter, and gives an error of being unable to communicate when it checks for the Driver and for the Status. I can, however, print without trouble, and I can access the 6700's on-board web pages at it's local IP address.  Looking at the devices "scan" webpage tab, the status reports "The printer is busy". 

Any suggestions? 

And to clarify, I did attempt several times to use the "HP Print and Scan Doctor".  It returns the error that "the scan driver cannot communicate with the product". It asks to reboot both the printer and my PC, which I have dne several times. Upon reboot, when it fails again, its says to contact HP. 

If I skip that problem, the "Device Status" check returns a "General Printer Error" 

If I skip that problem, the "Windows (WIA) Scan" pulls up the windows scan dialogue box, and when I instruct it to begin a scan, nothing happens but it passes the test (?).

That's followed by the "Registry" test, which also calls up the WIA dialogue box, and again, when instructed to start scan, nothing happens but the test is passed. It then passes the "HP Scan" test as well. ending on the "Test Scan" option, saying everything is fixed, but if it's not really fixed, I might need to update software.  

When I choose to do the test scan offered, nothing happens and the sequence ends with the "Thank you for using HP Products" dialogue, which allows me to "Quit" or "Start Over". 

5 REPLIES 5
RnRMusicMan
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,784
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @StevenKoster,

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! 

I understand that you cannot scan with your HP Officejet 6700 printer, on Windows 10, and I am happy to help! 

How is your printer connected, Wireless, Ethernet. or USB? 

What happens if you try scanning without HP software? Scan Without HP Software (Windows 10).

What happens if you make a standard copy from the printer? Copying a Multipage Original in Order (Collating).

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on Accept as Solution on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

Once I know this information, I will do some further research for you! 

Hope to hear from you soon! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

0 Kudos
StevenKoster
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Attempting to copy returns the same resutls: the display reads "Starting Copy..." and freezes. 

Most of this (beyond the troubleshooter) has been using the on-board device controls, so most of it has been outside of windows 10 or any other PC software. 

The connection is wireless, but I've verifed the IP address on the device and on the Windows settings. The HP doctor truobleshooter does it's own device discovery. Besides, the problem appears with the on-board controls, regardless of network connection.

0 Kudos
RnRMusicMan
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,784
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi StevenKoster,

Thank you for your response! 

I am thinking this is a hardware malfunction of the printer itself. If you try and copy, and lift the lid during the process, do you see a light come on, and the scanner bar moving? 

If not, I would recommend to get the printer serviced/or replaced. Please contact HP phone support for further assistance. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on Accept as Solution on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

Hope this information helps! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

0 Kudos
StevenKoster
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upon boot the scanner bar moves from right to left. Upon shut down the bar moves from keft to right. At no time does it light up.  Lifting the lid doesn't seem to do much. 

Is there no reset or something I can do? 

0 Kudos
RnRMusicMan
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,784
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi StevenKoster,

Thank you for your response! 

If the light does not come on, then honestly I would recommend getting the printer serviced/or replaced. You can try a hard reset, by following the instructions in this post, How to perform a Hard Reset, by @Rich1. Otherwise, please contact HP phone support for further assistance. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Best regards! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation