cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Yiftach
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Officejet E709a Windows XP fail to install photosmart software, scanner failure

HP Recommended

HP Officejet 6500 E709a reinstalled on my XP. First part was o.k.
than fax setting was o.k. too, fax test passed.
Problem was with photosmart.
On main installation window When I select install more software and then Photosmart Essential 3.5.
Installation window popup with empty softbuttons. Click them anyway and an error message popup.
Error massage window name was:

\Locals~1\Temp\HP\OJ6500vE709_full_en\Setup\hpzprl01.exe" -m preloader"

error text was

the system coannot find the file specified

But the file is there at ...\Locals~1\Temp\HP\OJ6500vE709_full_en\Setup\hpzprl01.exe
I can see it, 396 KB version 12.0.0.85

Reinstallation came after installation of NVidia graphic card Geoforce GT 630
with 340.52-desktop-winxp-32bit-international.exe
And also USB 3.0: Renesas Electronics.
Graphic card is still on XP but USB3 was removed before installation.
I cannot say if problem are result of Graphic card or USB3 installation
but they sure started after these installations.

Clean before installation was with \Locals~1\Temp\HP\,,\uninstall_l4
Also HP was removed from c:\Windows c:\Program files, Add Remove Program was HP clean
\Locals~1\Temp was clean from any file and recycle bin was emptied.

I had the same photosmart failure with newer instalation file OJ6500vE709_Full_14.exe

Please advice

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Sunshyn2005
Level 13
17,328 17,221 901 2,544
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Yiftach 

I see you are having difficulty installing the software for your Officejet E709a on your Windows XP. I appreciate your troubleshooting efforts so far, let't complete the steps in the following document and see where we stand; 'Cannot Install this Hardware...The system cannot find the file specified.' Message Displays on the ....

Please let me know the outcome of these efforts. Thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Tags (1)
Yiftach
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First the solution

Download OJ6500vE709_Full_14.exe from HP web site. Made a directory named

D:\software\hp_office_jet6500\extract_setup\Temp and copy OJ6500vE709_Full_14.exe into it.

made a text file, with name setup_extract.bat (name is not important extension is) with content

OJ6500vE709_Full_14.exe /extract.

Yet on ...\Temp I made a directory named 7zS1EEd (name is not important).

Clicked on bat file and on extract popup browse to 7zS1EEd directory.

All files were extracted to 7zS1EEd. Navigate into 7zS1EEd and clicked on

....\Temp\7zS1EEd\OJ6500vE709_Full_14\util\ccc\Uninstall_L4.bat

HP software was removed no more popup installation windows.

Disconnect internet cable, Click on

....\Temp\7zS1EEd\OJ6500vE709_Full_14\Setup.exe

Installation went smoothly and everything was o.k.

However system restoration was not the solution your advice led me into the solution. so here is the long story.

Well it was not easy. I follow your instruction but System restore didn't work. Found advice on google to stop

firewall and antivirus. Then system restore worked (1 day). Then I wanted to clean everything and remove any

application that was problematic, e.g. Apple QuickTime. Remove by Add Remove Program referenced \Locals~1\Temp

file but I cleaned everything from \Locals~1\Temp so remove fail. Not only that automatic installation kept

popping up windows that didn't find references in \Locals~1\Temp and it was impossible to do anything.

More google and I download QuickTimeInstaller.exe from Apple Web site and made a batch file named file.bat

with content

QuickTimeInstaller.exe /extract

Clicking on file.bat open the exe file and I got

AppleApplicationSupport.msi AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi and QuickTime.msi.

Now with Remove by Add Remove Program I select more information and then repair. When window

installer referenced \Locals~1\Temp I browse into the just extracted file and it worked out.

I tried to remove HP software, I removed it before system restoration but I could still see it with

start > All programs. Removing of HP software fail with again pop up windows that references \Locals~1\Temp

and kept pop up on any keyboard strike and thus prevent any action.  

Also I couldn't remove C:\Program files\Hp\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqcxs08.dll and 3 more on same directory.

So I went back to original system, undo system restoration. Still had the popup windows referencing \Locals~1\Temp

in a loop and prevent any action.

Did the same extract trick with HP software and that resolve the issue as described above.

Look like this way I circumvent all the traumas XP has in its subconsciousness, i.e.

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings

A long story but making it was much longer, it took me few days and millions of restarts.

Thank you Yiftach

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation