Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

I've had the HP Officejet Pro 6830 for 6-9 months, it's been working great wirelessly the whole time.  Three nights ago we had a power failure, now the printer won't connect to the wireless router.  It sees the SSID, but when I enter the password, it says that the password is wrong.  I am using an ARRIS Cable Modem.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @CWoodland ,

I see that you are having issues with setting up the network again for the printer, you are getting a message that the password is wrong. I would really like to be able to help you resolve this issue.

I would check the network password on the Mac, to verify the correct password is being entered.
How to Find the WEP or WPA Key or Password for Your Wireless Network.

You might have to restore the printer defaults and try again.

Go to Setup, Network Setup, Restore Network Settings.

Then run Wireless Setup Wizard again from the printer's display.

Go to Setup, Network Setup, Wireless Settings, Wireless Setup Wizard.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @CWoodland ,

I see that you are having issues with setting up the network again for the printer, you are getting a message that the password is wrong. I would really like to be able to help you resolve this issue.

I would check the network password on the Mac, to verify the correct password is being entered.
How to Find the WEP or WPA Key or Password for Your Wireless Network.

You might have to restore the printer defaults and try again.

Go to Setup, Network Setup, Restore Network Settings.

Then run Wireless Setup Wizard again from the printer's display.

Go to Setup, Network Setup, Wireless Settings, Wireless Setup Wizard.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I haven't been able to get connected to the wireless and also found I can't do a scan because it is not connected to the computer

HP Recommended

Hi @bluffian,

If you have verified that password and are still having issues setting up the wireless from the printer's display, then I would try another step in a private message, that I will send you. In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

@bluffian wrote:

I haven't been able to get connected to the wireless and also found I can't do a scan because it is not connected to the computer

Please provide the following relevant information so someone can help including:

Printer Model -
Detailed Problem Description -
Operating System of computer (including service pack revision) -
Connection Method - USB, Hardwired LAN, Wireless? -
Make and model of router and modem? -
Error messages - on printer screen and/or computer, any blinking light patterns?
If wireless, when the problem occurs, what is status of Blue Wireless light on printer, on, off or blinking? –

Power off printer and router. Power on router and wait 3 mins, power on printer. Does it connect to the router now? Do you have a valid IP address?

HP Recommended

Hi @Gemini02

I am having the exact same issue.  Just purchased this printer and keep getting "incorrect wireless Password" message.  Restored to factory settings, verified it is correct password key.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi @flippy59,

I see by your post that you aren't able to setup the printer over the wireless network. I would like to help you.

What operating system are you using?

How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

I will send you a private message for the printer's reset to try to see if that will help.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have the printer connected to iMac running  OS X Yosemite version 10.10.4.

Using Netgear Nighthawk X4 router.  i have 8 other devices connected with no problems.

I tried it twice, once with printer connected via USB and then without it being connected.

HP Recommended

Hi @flippy59,

Thanks for providing that information in the thread and the PM. You are getting a Authentication problem error message when trying to print from a USB connection and Wireless. Please clarify if it is when installing the printer or printing.

Did you download and install the latest drivers?

Here is the link if you haven't already. HP Officejet Pro 6830 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers.

I have provided some steps to try. Since you are getting the error by a USB connection also.

Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac:

Close all applications.

On the Apple menu bar, click Go, click Applications and then click Utilities.

Double-click Disk Utility.

Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left.

Click Verify and then Repair Disk Permissions.

Restart the computer..

Reset the Printing System:

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Click the Apple icon and then click System Preferences.

Click Printers & Scanners.

Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left white side panel, then click Reset printing system.

Click OK to confirm the reset.

Type the correct Name and Password.

Click OK to reset the printing system.

Then click the + sign to add the driver, highlight the printer. (you might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name) Then click on the Add button.

Please verify your password and encryption type again.

HP Printers - Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password (Mac).

Were you able to get a valid IP address for the printer after running the Wireless Setup Wizard?

If you have any issues, please let me know what steps you have taken and the results. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

O.K.

I had already installed the latest drivers.

I have repaired the Disk Permissions on the Mac.

Restarted The Computer.

Reset the Printing System

Still getting Incorrect Password entered.

So I ended up moving printer into room with the router and connected with ethernet cable.  So far, so good.

But thanks to all that tried to help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.