Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 75 (58,364 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909n - Windows 7 Driver Needed!

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I just bought the HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909, and it won't install on my Windows 7 RC1 installation. An updated driver is needed.

I wonder if there is any known workarounds? I have tried compatibility mode and run as admin, gets to about 90%ish and errors out.

How can I be sure that HP will make a Windows 7 driver for this model, otherwise I need to return it ASAP.

Thanks

Message Edited by MiahX on 06-07-2009 10:20 AM
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909n - Windows 7 Driver Needed!

@ellirdad. I 100% agree with you about wanting HP to fix the driver issue. It's quite maddening.

If you download and use the Basic driverset, it works fine(I'm using Windows 7 RC1 x64).  Thats after forcing it to run in compatibility mode, of course. You can scan, fax, etc.Works great.

I tried to install the Full driverset and also had the issue where it would freeze at 96% and eventually time out. I was bored and deicided to do some investigating The problem its having is with a file called flash9f.ocx. Apparently it tries to "register" that file with Windows and it fails. I haven't dug too deep, but I tried downloading and registering flash9f.ocf manually and it still failed, so who knows. Hopefully HP will get on the ball and give us some Windows 7 drivers soon.

Message Edited by Method2Madness on 08-19-2009 10:53 AM
View solution in context
Student
Message 2 of 75 (58,231 Views)

Yes !  I'm loving my Win7 experience but no printer/scanner makes life a little challenging !  C'mon HP .. make with the driver !  Toshiba have done it for my outdated Portege M400 !

Student
Message 3 of 75 (58,214 Views)

yes, this driver for Win7 is needed asap!!

Student
Message 4 of 75 (58,180 Views)

yes its disappointing to spend alot of money on a printer, specially from a company that promotes there companies involvement with the windows 7 os.

drivers work fine with windows 7 default but it really is a shame when you cant use your $400 printers bells and whistles. I have old joysticks from 10 years ago that works beautiful with the new os but the NEW printer is the only thing that is my down fall. thanks HP for blowing yet another possible good thing from your company

Regents Professor
Message 5 of 75 (58,173 Views)

You guys really need to relax. A stable version of Windows 7 has not been released yet, nor has the Release To Manufacturers(RTM) version of Windows 7. I don't think any manufacturer will write software and drivers based on beta and test versions of OS's. Though I'm sure they're developing the drivers and software as we speak, I don't think it'll be released to the public until the final version of Windows 7 is OFFICIALLY released. So please, don't starting hating on HP just yet.

PS: A joystick is not quite as complicated as an AiO printer ;)
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
Regents Professor
Message 6 of 75 (58,054 Views)

MiahX wrote:

How can I be sure that HP will make a Windows 7 driver for this model, otherwise I need to return it ASAP.

Well, HP made Vista drivers and software for most of their printers AFTER Vista was released, didn't they? I see no reason they won't do the same when Windows 7 comes out.

Top Student
Message 7 of 75 (58,127 Views)

DexterM wrote:

You guys really need to relax. A stable version of Windows 7 has not been released yet, nor has the Release To Manufacturers(RTM) version of Windows 7. I don't think any manufacturer will write software and drivers based on beta and test versions of OS's. Though I'm sure they're developing the drivers and software as we speak, I don't think it'll be released to the public until the final version of Windows 7 is OFFICIALLY released. So please, don't starting hating on HP just yet.

PS: A joystick is not quite as complicated as an AiO printer ;)

Yes, alot of us understand that it would not make sense to write drivers and software specifically for Windows 7, but the problem is the installer program halts when it checks which version of windows you are running. It's not that it won't run, its that it has been disabled. The people running Windows 7 at this time know that it can be hit or miss..that you may need to format tomorrow because of some random thing or driver hiccup..thats beta. The message that is displayed with the software is:

The Operating System on this computer is not supported. The installation cannot continue until this is resolved.

Current OS: 601.64

Supported: Vista 64 bit, Vista, Windows XP

If you have the printer networked, and create a port that goes to the IP address...IT WORKS. This is simply that the software has been told, do not install.

OP: Try refering to this http://it.cas.psu.edu/Training/howto/util/Add_XP_TCP_Printer.htm as a guide, if you have the printer on your network, you should be able to follow this for the most part. I was able to setup my Laserjet 3050 and Officejet 8500 this way. I haven't attempted adding as a scanner yet, but I would think it should be able to do that too. The manual has the ports that are needed. Printing UDP: 427,137,161, TCP: 9100. Scanning UDP: 427, TCP: 9220, 9500.

Regents Professor
Message 8 of 75 (58,091 Views)

[ Edited ]

The software was only meant to be installed on those OS's mentioned, and not for any other. Those files may potentially cause problems if installed on an OS it's not meant for. Many might argue that 7 is similar to Vista(considering that some people get the Vista drivers to install on 7), but it's better not to underestimate the changes in both.

IIRC, there was a thread about installing the printer driver on Windows 7 somewhere around here, and one of the users posted how to edit the autorun.ini file to include Windows 7, and thus bypassing this error. Try it at your own risk.

Link to the thread 

Message Edited by DexterM on 25/06/2009 01:11 PM
Student
Message 9 of 75 (58,073 Views)

Indeed the link is correct.    But here is all you have to do:  Right click on the setup file, go to properties and set the compatibility mode.  Then right click again and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.  At one point it asks you to hook up the USB cable (if that is what you are doing) but will not recognize the cable being hooked up..... just check the box on the screen and it will proceed to install the rest of the software.  By the way - Windows 7 RC has built in drivers for the 8500 so don't worry about getting the printer driver.  So far all the software I have tried works great -- the whole document manager section is as it should be. 
Tutor
Message 10 of 75 (57,974 Views)

I'm not sure if you read the original post, but I stated that it compat mode does not work.

And Win7 does not  have native support for this printer, it gives an error when you try to install it. 

And lastly, RC1 is final. So they CAN make drivers for it now. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation