Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 8 (33,770 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 error 344

I have been trying to fax today and keep getting this error

* A communication error occurred during the fax transmission.

If you're sending, try again and/or call to make sure the recipient's

fax machine is ready to receive faxes. If you're receiving, contact

the initiator and ask them to send the document again.

I called, they are receiving faxes, but not mine. I hear the machine dial the number, the other fax machine picks up and starts the handshake and it goes quiet and then it takes the first page to scan, then starts printing this error 344* and the message about. I found very little on the internet except that this is a hardware issue.

What do I do? I only had it a few months.

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 8 (33,747 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 error 344

Hello davidcr333,

Here's a document that explains some on the fax error codes: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=buu02549

The code 344 indicates noise or static on the line and usually the best way to get around that is to disable Error Correction Mode and/or lower the fax speed.

To disable the Error Correction Mode (ECM) touch the right arrow, then Setup, then Advanced Fax Setup, then down arrow and then  Error Correction Mode and set it to Off.

To lower the fax speed, also go to Advanced Fax Setup and set it to Slow.

Tutor
Message 3 of 8 (33,689 Views)

I had this problem when my 8500 was new and it drove me nuts till I figured it out. I actually had to take the machine to a friend's house, prove it would fax fine there, to convince the phone company to come out and test my line. Turns out water had gotten into the phone line out along the street, just enough that it would test fine from the company office, but not good enough to fax. They set up another and it works perfect! 

Albie
Student
Message 4 of 8 (32,815 Views)

Setting it to Slow doesn't work.

Taking off the ECM doesn't work.

Putting in spaces or dashes between the long distance fax number doesn't work.

Calling useless technicians at HP sure doesn't work.

I have a perpetual Error 344. Totally ridiculous.

My Brother Intellifax never did this. Never had a problem sending faxes overseas on that machine.

WHY DID I BUY AN HP?

Why?

Student
Message 5 of 8 (26,449 Views)

I only get error 344 when trying to fax to a certain number. I'm able to fax other number, just this one is giving me problems. I have called and they said they are receiving other faxes and have given me another number and that one also won't work. Just that one company that I'm having trouble with.

Honor Student
Message 6 of 8 (25,644 Views)

Reply to error 344 cause.  This is elementary, but I just missed it.   I just changed my internet service from cable to DSL.  When I tried to fax, I got the 344 error.  I then got one of the provided DSL filters and put it in line to the printer and problem was solved.  That is one of the many causes that is easy to fix.

Student
Message 7 of 8 (15,453 Views)

Thank you for this fix!  It worked like a charm!!

Student
Message 8 of 8 (12,792 Views)

I'm at exactly the same place - just one fax number.  I tried removing error code correction. tried lowering the transmission speed (even thought this happens automatically when you remove ECC); even tried finding someone at the other end who spoke "fax machine".  All for nought.  

Tried faxing to "the" number again this moring - got ERR 344 again this morning.  Right after that I tried faxing to a different number (dfferent company) - worked like a charm!

Conclusion:  As with resolution of all problems relating to telcom - the problem isn't the your computer computer hardware or their computer hardware; the problem is finding someone  in their camp who is willing  to accept that there  IS a problem and IS willing to work on resolving it with you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation