Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600
macOS 10.12 Sierra

We recently got a new internet provider (Time Warner with a ubee router). I have two Mac's, both on 10.12 Sierra. We also have two PCs.  Once the Mac's go into into sleep mode, the connection to the HP printer is lost and printer goes "offline". I have to restart the printer, then all works fine. Until the computer goes back to sleep then I need to restart again. The PCs are not having this issue. Suggestions apprecaited. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @D_C_27,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your printer keeps going offline. Whenever your Mac goes to sleep the printer goes offline and you need to restart the printer to get the printer working again, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Are you using a dual band router? Note: HP Printers do not work or connect to 5Ghz networks. If you are using a dual band router, please give different names to 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz networks and connect the printer to the 2.4Ghz network. 

Is the full feature software of your printer installed on all the computer?

Recommend you assign a static IP address to the printer by following the procedure mentioned below to resolve the issue you are facing. 

• Obtain the IP address of the printer (which can found by pressing the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel)
  • Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page.
  • Go to the “Network” tab, click on “Wireless (802.11) then click on “Network address (IPV4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

For other troubleshooting steps, please refer to this HP Article

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Chimney, but still having the same issue. We do have a dual band routher and are only using the 2.4GHz for the printer and the computers. I was able to change the IP address to a static one, but still having the same issues. I think this has something to do with Mac's as well. Both of my Mac's are having the exact same issue. But we also have 2 PCs in the house, and they are not having any problems. They did have to re-add the printer after we changed the IP address.

HP Recommended

@D_C_27

It looks like you were interacting with @Chimney_83, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

As I understand you've assigned a static IP and yet it doesn't work on your Mac OS, I see that you've followed the steps mentioned in the post, however, missed the link the tech had shared.

Besides, if this issue only on MacOS or does it not work on windows as well?

If the issue is only within MacOS: Click here to troubleshoot printer issues on Mac,

Or
Alternatively, if it's the windows OS as well: Click here for more instructions.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.