Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hii, 

I have vertical lines now in my Officejet 8600 scans. The link in the forum is no longer live  (404 error).

This is a new problem and I have tried the HP Print and Scan Dr., but the problem persists.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Greg

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Do the lines only occur when using the Automatic Document Feeder?  If so the issue is caused by a spec on the thin glass to the left of the main bed.  Cleaning this thoroughly will resolve the issue.  

The page here shows how to clean this area.

Clean the scanner glass and underside of the scanner lid with a soft, lint-free cloth sprayed with glass cleaner.
  1. Turn the printer off, then disconnect the power cord.
  2. Lift the scanner lid.
  3. Spray a soft, lint-free cloth with glass cleaner, then wipe the scanner glass, glass strip (if present), the white backing under the scanner lid, and the white strip under the lid (if present) until clean, dry, and streak-free.
      CAUTION:
    To protect the interior printer parts, do not spray the cleaner directly on the glass or on the underside of the lid.
    Figure : Clean the scanner glass and under the lid, and any glass or white strips (if present)
    Clean the scanner glass and  under the lid, and any glass or white strips
    1. White scanner lid backing
    2. White ADF scanner lid strip 
    3. Glass ADF scanner strip 
    4. Main scanner glass
  4. Reconnect the power cord, turn on the printer, then close the scanner lid completely.
  5. Load the original document or photo, then try to scan. Make sure the original document or photo is in good condition and free of tears, creases, folds, staples, or tape.
    If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the ADF advice but I only was using the platen.

I seem to have fixed the problem.

First  I made sure all my software and firmware were up to date. IThey are.

Second I found somewhere on the forum or on the Fax and Scan Dr , the instructions to remove  any document on the platen so that the good doctor could calibrate. (I had kept the document on the platen as I tried to fix the scanner.) That helped once, and then on a seconfd scan . the lines reappeared. So I repeated the process using the Fax and Scan Dr.

Last thing last evening, I unplugged the printer, waited 30 seconds and  repowered.

I scanned this morning several documents cleanly.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Best regards,

Greg

PS: The badge is a nice rouch. Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.