Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hey guys, frustrating issue slowing my work, appreciate anyone taking time to volunteer expertise.

Printing single-sided, my Word Template prints fine. Select 'print both sides', 'flip long edge' and the footer no longer appears in print preview (or when printed) plus the header is only half visible (and half printed).  Microsoft have no clue (when do they ever right?).

0.75 Header from Top

0.35 Footer from bottom

(N.B. Both print 100% on single sided and about two weeks ago, both printed fine on double-sided also). Date: 15 July 2015

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again @Matt_Roberts,

Thanks for getting back to me!

If you've been able to print double sided with no issues before using the same printer and computer, it's unlikely that the machine itself has suddenly become incapable.

What I suspect, is that it has something to do with the driver on your computer. Windows 8 has an annoying habit of installing multiple instances of your printer's driver. For example, even if you have installed the printer with the full HP software, because the Operating System can see the printer wirelessly, it may automatically install a driver from Windows update as well.

So here's what I suggest we try. Let's check your printer's folder for multiple "HP Officejet 8600" icons.

1. From your desktop, either swipe right to open the charms bar, or press Win key + C on your keyboard.
  2. Select settings from the bar on the right.
  3. Select Control Panel
  4. Under Hardware and Sound, Select Devices and Printers.

Let's remove all the software and start fresh. Right click on each icon you see for your 8600 (even if there is only one) and select Remove Device, or Delete.

Once the printer has been removed. Restart your computer. Then download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard. It'll automatically detect your product and install the most recent driver package available from HP.

Hope this helps!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

:cathappy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Matt_Roberts,

Welcome to the HP Forums, thanks for posting!

I understand you're having issues with your margins when printing double sided on your HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One printer from the Microsoft Word program on your Windows 8.1 computer.

There's a few things that could be causing this issue. It could be a limitation of the printer (the way the duplexer grips the rollers makes borderless double sided printing impossible, so it may also affect what margins you are able to use. It may also be an issue with which driver your Windows 8 system is using.

What I'll have you try, would be to print a few pages single sided. Then use those pages to make a double sided copy on the printer itself. If the copy comes out with the limited margins, it may be a limitation of the printer. If the copy comes out fine, then it's most likely an issue with the driver on the computer.

Please respond to let me know how this goes, so I can better assist!

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Wow, that's very kind of you. I didn't think HP replied to these forums, kinda thought customers were pretty much on their own once the company had their money like unfortunately a lot of firms are these days (Microsoft directs users to help each other online).

Single-sided prints fine. Double-sided also did print fine. The header and footer exactly the same as single-sided of course, just going on to a second page like you said. So I'm at a loss. Used to print fine, doesn't anymore. Could it be windows 8.1 online updates somehow? Microsoft don't seem to think so (told me to reach out to HP). Coud it be HP online update drivers doesn't like the new windows 8.1 MS Word updates?

I'm at the limit of my HP printing intellect, I can't think what it could be, or what I could try.  Need your expertise..  Thanks lots

HP Recommended

If you've been able to print double sided with no issues before using the same printer and computer, it's unlikely that the machine itself has suddenly become incapable.

What I suspect, is that it has something to do with the driver on your computer. Windows 8 has an annoying habit of installing multiple instances of your printer's driver. For example, even if you have installed the printer with the full HP software, because the Operating System can see the printer wirelessly, it may automatically install a driver from Windows update as well.

So here's what I suggest we try. Let's check your printer's folder for multiple "HP Officejet 8600" icons.

1. From your desktop, either swipe right to open the charms bar, or press Win key + C on your keyboard.
  3. Select Control Panel

Let's remove all the software and start fresh. Right click on each icon you see for your 8600 (even if there is only one) and select Remove Device, or Delete.

Once the printer has been removed. Restart your computer. Then download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard. It'll automatically detect your product and install the most recent driver package available from HP.

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Message for the HP Support tech person 'HeyListen';

Excellent support!  (always slightly more excellent when it solves the problem).  Unistalling and reinstalling worked but I was impressed by the link to an automatic download of printer driver installation software and that I didn't need to do anything beyond press a button on the printer to find the IP address.

Really very excellent product and product support.  Microsoft have become so complicated to use, their online portals have sub-screens and one area for this and another area for that, their support engineers impossible to get hold of, some cultural clashes of communication and promises to call back (three times) but they never do.  HP on the other hand, you can see by this support ticket thread, were most helpful and gave me 'click-and-play' solutions making it easy to fix.

@HeyListen wrote:

3. Select Control Panel

@HeyListen wrote:

3. Select Control Panel

I wish the cause of this problem (Microsoft Windows 8 periodic updates installing HP driver software automatically despite it already been installed) would be fixed by them because I can see it being an issue again in the future, but perhaps HP can lead the way and develop a counter fix?

I buy printers for my company and am an HP man now for sure (the support when there's a problem is the key to CRM and a brand's strength).  Well done.

HP Recommended

I am so happy to hear that the re-install has fixed the issue for us! :catvery-happy:

Please consider marking my previous post as a solution, so if anyone else should run into this issue, they can find the fix quickly.

I hope you have a fantastic day, and thank you for choosing HP.

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

This just fixed my topic too! 

My topichttp://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-Officejet-8610-white-spaces-in-header-and-footer-une...

Many thanks, you made my day!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.