Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8600 plus Black vertical line when copy or scan right in middle of page

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Clementstl,

I understand you have an Officejet Pro 8600 that is putting a black vertical line in the center of your copies/scans. I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with this, but I will certainly do my best to assist you in resolving this issue.

I would recommend following this Vertical Bands, Lines, or Streaks in Copies, Faxes, or Scans document as it should be able to help you clear that line. The most common cause is a small speck of something on the scanner glass, so just make sure when you're cleaning the you use as much elbow grease as you can muster Smiley Happy

Just to clarify a little further as well, if the issue only seems to happen when using the Automatic Document Feeder, you'll want to focus your attention on the small strip of glass it uses on the far left side. If it's only happening when you use the flatbed glass, you will want to focus you attention to the large piece of glass it uses.

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi Clementstl,

I understand you have an Officejet Pro 8600 that is putting a black vertical line in the center of your copies/scans. I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with this, but I will certainly do my best to assist you in resolving this issue.

I would recommend following this Vertical Bands, Lines, or Streaks in Copies, Faxes, or Scans document as it should be able to help you clear that line. The most common cause is a small speck of something on the scanner glass, so just make sure when you're cleaning the you use as much elbow grease as you can muster Smiley Happy

Just to clarify a little further as well, if the issue only seems to happen when using the Automatic Document Feeder, you'll want to focus your attention on the small strip of glass it uses on the far left side. If it's only happening when you use the flatbed glass, you will want to focus you attention to the large piece of glass it uses.

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Thank you! It worked!
HP Recommended
I've had the same problem and have worked with HP and can't get it fixed. Faxing and scanning creates vertical bars. Dirty glass can't explain unplugging and plugging back in will temporarily fix the issue. There is something wrong with these machines and there needs to be a solution. So many post on this discussion forum with the exact same issue and the resolution is to always clean the glass, no powerstrip, and unplug the machine and plug it back in. Issue is gone for some random length of time but then comes back. Could be 1 day or could be 1 month. HP fix this!
HP Recommended

thanks so much.  you solved my problem.  didn't even see the glass on the far left that was streaking when I scanned with the adf.  cleaned it and it works great.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

I cleaned the glass off and it's still printing an inch black line through the middle when I copy something.  We've only had the printer a month.

Please help!

HP Recommended

Hi DawnFranco,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Is it happening from both the feeder and the glass, or one or the other?

If it is just happening from the feeder or the glass, line the page up with where your scanning to see where on the glass the problem is and focus your cleaning efforts there.

If it is happening from both, it's possible it's the document (please try another to be sure) or the hardware itself. In that case please ensure the printer is plugged directly to a wall outlet to ensure that the printer is getting 100% of the power it needs to function.

Let me know if that helps 🙂

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

It's happening in both Scanning and Copy mode.  Feeder and directly placed on glass.  Even with another document.   It's also plugged directly into the wall.

HP Recommended

If you line the document up with the glass, are you able to see anything physically on the glass?

Try shining a flashlight on the glass as well to see if it looks like anything underneath the glass.

It sounds like it's an issue with the hardware itself, but let me know if anything appears to be on the glass first 🙂

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I looked on the glass, shined a flashlight and I see nothing.  This happened a few weeks ago and I turned it off and back on and it stopped.  It's the same thing happening.  Our business purchased this on 2/12/15 and very rarey scan documents.  Not sure what else to do, but a lot of money spent on something that is already going wrong not even 2/mos later.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.