cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
drummer12345
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

HP Officejet Pro 8610 fax error message

HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Good morning.  I have two Officejet Pro 8610s.  One is in my office running MS Office 7, the other is at home running Mac.

To conserve power I have both printers set to turn off in the evenings.  Neither is being used as a fax machine and neither has ever had the phone cord plugged in.

On both printers I am consistently getting the error message "Telephone cord is connected. To receive faxes, the printer must be turned on.  Note that the printer is scheduled to be turned off at XX:XX every (days listed).  To change the schedule, use the Schedule On and Off feature in the Setup menu."

Almost everytime I go to make copies or initiate a scan from the printer I have to click "OK" for this error.  The error also pops up about every 30 minutes and makes a ding.   This wouldn't be annoying at all except the printer is positioned next to my left ear and I"ve been listening to it for six months.

How do I stop these messages, aside from removing the scheduled turn off and on? 

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Aardvark1
Retired
Retired
3,446 3,272 246 418
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @drummer12345 ,

Welcome to the HP forum.

I understand that you are getting a fax error message form your two 8610's. I would like to help you with this issue.

I find it odd that you get this message. You mentioned that you have never set the unit up for fax.

Please take a moment and make sure that no cords are plugged into the Fax ports on the printer.

If there are none, go into the setup menu.

Once in the setup menu, select the fax setup option.

Go into the advanced fax setup option.

scroll to the bottom of the list and select restore defaults.

If that does not work try a hard reset.

With the printer powered on, unplug the power cord.

Wait at least 30 seconds.

Plug the power cord back into the printer.

If this was happening to just one printer, I would believe this to be a firmware issue.

For this to happen to both your printers, I  get a feeling it could be something related to the printers environment.

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
drummer12345
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Aardvark1 wrote:

Hello @drummer12345 ,

Welcome to the HP forum.

I understand that you are getting a fax error message form your two 8610's. I would like to help you with this issue.

I find it odd that you get this message. You mentioned that you have never set the unit up for fax.

Please take a moment and make sure that no cords are plugged into the Fax ports on the printer.

If there are none, go into the setup menu.

Once in the setup menu, select the fax setup option.

Go into the advanced fax setup option.

scroll to the bottom of the list and select restore defaults.

If that does not work try a hard reset.

With the printer powered on, unplug the power cord.

Wait at least 30 seconds.

Plug the power cord back into the printer.

If this was happening to just one printer, I would believe this to be a firmware issue.

For this to happen to both your printers, I  get a feeling it could be something related to the printers environment.

Aardvark1,

Thank you for the reply.  I tried each of the steps above with no change. 

The only thing that was "plugged" into the fax line was the plastic shipping adapter.  It has been removed now.

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Kudos
idas
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can confirm that the original poster's problem is not unique. I have precisely the same problem and can only remove the irritation by not using the schedule option resulting in the printer often being left switched on, unnecessarily, at night. It is rather pointless having a sensible energy saving solution that drives the owner nuts! So, yes it is a firmware fault, along with all the many other problems that this model of printer is plagued with such as phantom paper jams in the ADF and misfeeds from the tray that I also suffer along with many others reading the forums. It is also hopelessly unreliable on a wireless network connection and must be hard wired either by Ethernet or USB. This is a replacement printer from HP and my previous printer also had the fax connected nag and wireless and paper feed problems so, at least, the printers have consistent faults!

0 Kudos
drummer12345
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
idas - I'm sorry to hear that you've had similar problems, though I'm glad that itisnt just my units.

You'd think that HP would do some investigation on your returned unit.
0 Kudos
idas
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was very impressed with the way HP handled replacing my printer, a very painless experience and an efficient process although I do wonder if the replacement is also a return since it is exhibiting some other niggling faults. Perhaps they have had so much experience with returns that they are getting very practiced at it!

Unfortunately, that does not help when the printer has so many simple, irritating faults. HP have been in the business long enough to get the mechanical design, software and firmware right, but they needed to do a lot more work on this particular model. They just seem to want to effectively rent the printer to you so you pay monthly for the ink. I’m alarmed that the firmware records every drop of ink fired which does reinforce my belief that all printer manufactures are now designing printers that the user will have to replace regularly thus increasing their ink sales. The 3 year warranty on this deal swung me but I will probably be glad to see the back of the HP8610 earlier than that and put it to landfill. Not good for the planet!

0 Kudos
drummer12345
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am surprised that in over two months no one from HP has responded with a solution. 

0 Kudos
drummer12345
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It has now been over six months since HP Support responded with zero resolution.  I'm not the only one impacted by this issue and not the only one who isn't getting any assistance.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Officejef-Pro-8600-8610-quot-Phone-cord-det...

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation