Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Officejet Pro 8630 won't print from tray 2; says there's no paper

HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8630
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Action: Print from tray 2.

Expected Results: Paper feeds from tray 2 and prints.

Actual Results: Printer displays "out of paper" dialog.

Notes: Ever since I purchased the Officejet Pro 8630 six or eight months ago, tray 2 has not functioned. It says there's no paper in that tray. I've tried multiple types of letter sized paper. I've inspected the bottom of the main printer unit and the top of tray 2 for signs of damage; there doesn't seem to be any.

Tray 1 works just fine. It's actually a fantastic printer. The best I've owned. If only Tray 2 would work.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,328 17,221 901 2,538
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @RouterIncident,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an  HP Officejet Pro 8630 also and experienced a similar problem.  I've ignored it  and just used tray #1 but would like to have the use of Tray #2.  What I've noticed is the paper feeder attempts to grab the top sheet at the back, it crinkles the paper just a little, is unable to feed the paper and gives the error message that there is no paper in the tray.  

When I first set up the machine several months ago and was experiencing the problem I called an HP tech and he walked me through a whole series of steps that seemed like they were designed to configure the alignment of the feeder mechanism.  It worked for a  while then reverted back to it's unwillingness to feed from Tray #2.

I'm just using standard paper in both trays.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,328 17,221 901 2,538
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Dwiggett

I'd be happy to help you with your Officejet 8630. I understand paper will feed from the first tray, but not from tray 2. Perhaps there is something blocking the paper feed path. The following steps will help you to remove any jammed paper that may be in the tray:

1. Make sure that the printer is turned off and disconnected from the power source.
     WARNING:
    You must disconnect the power cord before you reach inside the printer to avoid risk of injuries or electric shock.
  2. Disconnect the USB or Ethernet cable from the rear of the printer, if you have a cable connection to the printer.
  3. Lift the printer off Tray 2, and then set the printer aside.
    Figure : Lift the printer off Tray 2
    Image: Lift the printer off Tray 2.
  4. Check the bottom of the printer for jammed paper.
  5. Remove any jammed paper from the bottom of the printer.
  6. Remove any jammed paper from Tray 2.
  7. Tap a stack of plain U.S. Letter or A4 size paper on a flat surface to align the edges.
  8. With the input tray outside of the printer, load the stack of paper.
  9. Make sure that the paper height does not exceed the dotted yellow lines on the sides of the tray.
    Figure : Paper fill guide (Tray 2)
    Image: Paper fill guide (Tray 2)
    1. Location of paper fill guide
    2. Plain paper fill guide
  10. Adjust the paper width and length guides. The paper should rest against the end of the tray, and the guides should rest against the edges of the paper.
    Figure : Input tray (Tray 2)
    Image: Input tray.
    1. Paper length guide
    2. Paper fill guide
    3. Paper width guide
  11. Carefully reinsert the tray into the printer, and then push the tray forward until the tray locks into place.
  12. Set the printer on top of Tray 2.
  13. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then plug in the power cord to the electrical outlet.
  14. Reconnect the USB or Ethernet cable.
  15. Press the Power button to turn on the printer.
     NOTE:
    The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash and the carriage might move. Wait until the warm-up period finishes before you proceed.

This and more can be found in the following document. If the issue persists, please review the document as it may help you to resolve the issue: HP OfficeJet Printers - A 'Paper Jam' Message Displays.

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm at my wits end. We bought the 8630 6 weeks ago in the hopes of using tray 2 for regular paper and tray 1 for specialty paper. Tray 2 will not pick up paper. I have no problem configuring the printer. It does what it is supposed to do with regard to the trays. However when tries to pick up paper from tray 2, the rollers just spin and eventually ding "out of paper".

I have gone through the extended directions in HP OfficeJet Printers - A 'Paper Jam' Message Displays to no avail. It is quite clear that tray 2 simply is mechanically unable to pick up paper. We have tried several different brands of paper, some smoother, some rougher/cheaper. No luck 

Calling for support is a lost cause. My limit for talking to someone in Pakistan with a script book which just implements the user manual is about an hour. I hung up after the umpteenth "I understand that you want to blah blah and I can help you". 

How can I get a warranty replacement for the tray 2 module?

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation