cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Cats869
Level 1
11 7 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Officejet Pro K550 - Printer displaying all lights; not responsive anymore.. Help!?

HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro K550
Other

Hello,

I ran into a non recoverable issue with the K550 Printer (not wireless version). I haven't used the printer for a few years so I decided to pull it out and get it working again. It worked at first but the printhead wasn't in good shape. Ink is fine but it appears that it couldn't print some colors so I decided to have the printer run the printhead cleaning  steps a few times. That helped a bit but wasn't ood enough so I took the printheads out and clearned it and that helped quite a bit but then I decided to try another pair of printheads that I had on hand (same type) and swapped tyhose in and clean those as well since they were a bit dried out. After doing some cleaning for awhile, the printer stopped becoming responsive and shows lights for both printheads and ink cartridges. According to the K550 printer manual, it is a non recoverable error and what the manual instructs me to do is to power cycle essentially which I did but everytime I do that, I still get the non recoverable error with either set of print heads. I took the print heads out and the ink cartridges and put them back in but still got the issue.

I'm not sure what to do at this point since the printer doesn't really respond except for when I click on the cancel X button which it then turns off all the lights except for 2 lights on the ink cartidge section which I'm not exactly sure why. I don't see any issue with the ink cartridges because it was printing fine but maybe something wrong with the print heads after taking them out and putting them back in a few times. I was pretty careful with handling the printer as I didn't forcefully yank anything out.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if I press the resume button, it changes the lights that are on as well which is quite strange. Some lights turn on and some turn off. When I press the power button, it doesn't even power off the printer and I can't run the printer commands (hold the power button, press the resume buttona  couple times, etc) such as trying to print a configuration page.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with performaing a hard reset/factory settings for a printer such as this one? 

I plugged the printer into my computer and got no response. It's really strange because it was able to print last night but not anymore??? 😞

Here are some pictures that I have uploaded to my dropbox (shows printer status lights all being on): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/db8burzml0bdv6z/AAB59cmcVAb0yF5OhosEBYqDa?dl=0

For reference... the HP K550 printer manual is here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00501024.pdf

Anyone, please help! Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Aug2014
Level 2
Level 2
7 7 2 2
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you please try to remove the printhead and try cleaning the contacts on the printheads and also the contacts on the dimple flex on the carriage?

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
Cats869
Author
Level 1
11 7 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Aug2014,

Sorry for getting back to you pretty late (got caught up and had to put this repair aside but now I'm back with some spare time). So I tried what you said but unfortunately it still did not work. I also had another pair of printheads to try out but that did not work either. I am wondering what kind of issues relate to the non recoverable error / when all lights are displayed? I wish there was some more specific way to figure out what's causing the printer to malfunction. I will try to clean it up a bit and possibly take it apart but I doubt that will help much. Has anyone else here experienced this kind of issue with the K550 printer or maybe I am one of those unlucky people? 

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Cats869
Author
Level 1
11 7 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am wondering if the reason why my printer is not responding regardless of printer heads is that the printer head carriage is damaged? Could it be that me taking out and reinserting the printheads may have damaged the carriage unit? I noticed that the printer status lights don't turn on until the printhead carriage is in the far left position for proper maintenance so I guess there is a sensor that can detect that. So it may be the carriage unit or possibly something else that may have gone bad in the printer. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation