cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Thood
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 21
Flag Post

HP Officejet Pro x576dw tray problem

HP Recommended

Hello,

We just bought a new printer (HP officejet Pro x576dw)  and in order for it to fit comfortably where we want it to, it needs to be turned sideways with tray 1 facing the wall. We have set all of the defaults to tray 2. However, whenever we try to print it says that there must be paper in tray 1 which will not work. Is there any way to make the printer not use tray 1 at all.

(If tray 1 was designed like a drawer like tray 2, there would not be a problem. But, since tray 1 sticks out, it does not work.)

Thanks,

Taylor

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
ThatGarenGuy
Retired
Retired
609 340 32 800
Message 2 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think what you are seeing (please confirm) is when you are printing a picture or anything in the popular picture formats (jpg, gif, png, etc...) the printer assumes  you want to load photo paper in tray 1 and print from there.

If you just sending raw pictures, it will head to tray 1. As a test, embed the picture in a word doc and send that. Should go to tray 2 if I'm making the right assumptions.

Let me know.

I worked for HP.
0 Kudos
AlainRobert
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem, I am trying to print documents that are in between 50 to 100pages and they are all going threw Tray1 even though all my setting ask for Tray2, I have 8x14 in tray 1 and I don't want to have to switch back an forth all the time.

I am obviously not printing pictures or anything in a picture format, these are conference documents, reviews etc. in my field of expertise.

It is now also doing the same thing when I am printing PDF files that are also 30pages long...

What would you recommend? (if I can't fix this I might have to return the printer, this is too much of a big part of why I made this purchase)

Thank you,

Alain Robert

0 Kudos
DanielJohn
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi All,

HAs this problem been rectified. I have cannot print PDF's to tray 2, they want to go to tray 1.

Is there a work around.

Dan

0 Kudos
EmilPersson
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same problem here. Always tries to choose tray 1 even though I've selected tray 2 as standard and trying tro print A4

0 Kudos
Damnprinter
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Similar problem.

I have one document (so far) that I cannot get to print from tray 2 despite my best efforts.

After restarting the printer, trying to update drivers (it was already up to date) and looking for some preset or document characteristic that might send it to tray 1 I eventually gave up and printed from tray 1.

I see several other people have had a similar problem, has there been no reply at all from HP?

0 Kudos
EmilPersson
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I solved this somehow, can't remember exactly what did the trick right now. I think I installed the latest drivers, and went through and set tray 2 as default everywhere I could on the printer and in my drivers on the client.

0 Kudos
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem as reported by others: namely that the printer will not print from Tray 2. It defaults to Tray 1 despite in the printer setup putting all the correct default settings.

I have had the printer for several months...and initially worked flawlessly..Now all of a sudden asks for paper to be loaded in Tray 1.  There was no change in the drivers, etc.  I did download the driver again, but without correction of the problem

Does anyone have a solution?

0 Kudos
tabcom
Level 3
86 47 0 4
Message 9 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Check this setting:

Setup -> Device Setup -> Paper Handling -> Default Tray -> Tray 2

I was an HP Customer Engineer from 1995-2002.
During this time, I serviced contract and warranty calls within the Northern Indiana area. When I left HP, I took my HP Designjet service experience and started my own business servicing out of contract plotters. Designjetpartsfast.com was launched in 2009. With over 20 years Designjet experience, I can help you resolve issues you are experiencing with your Designjet Printer.
0 Kudos
Wx3D
Level 1
8 5 0 2
Message 10 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same problem... Wasted hours of my life on the phone with HP support who appeared to be in denial that this problem exists.  After changing all settings, updating up-to-date drivers, resetting it all and then starting again, them supplying me a new Tray 2, and eventually them replacing my new machine with a reconditioned one, the problem remains.

I am trying to print off documents that previously I had no problem printing off with an older HP printer.  I suspect (but have no evidence other than nothing else working - I still have the same problem with a different machine) that there may be some sort of software hiccup introduced as a combination of the HP software and Windows 10.

Unfortunately, the replacement machine is doing the same thing - it randomly says I need to put paper into Tray 1 wehen there is still plenty of paper in Tray 2.  It's like having a Ferrari with 3 wheels- only trouble is, 'Ferrari' (HP in this instance) won't send someone out to fix it - they expect me to use my time fixing it for them.

very very very disappointing

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation