Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
20 17 1 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Officejet ink usage statistics (printer uses too much ink)

HP Recommended

I have been using an HP Officejet Pro 8500 (inkjet) printer for 3 years. I think the hardware is very good, but I had many problem with its Windows dirvers, software and firmware. I think (hope?) that my extreme ink usage is related to that as well, and can be fixed. Since I realized that the printer uses much more ink (4+ times as much) as it promeses in both the marketing materials and on its own admininstrator web-page I started to collect some statistics. I print mostly b&w with the draft and normal settings using primarily the black ink cartridge only.

I published my stats in an excel document and made it available for eveyone to extend. I would like to know if you have the same problem, is it only for 8500 owners or general for all HP printers, or is it just a firmware problem?

Please feel free to check out my stats, and extend it with yours if you too like to get a bigger picture 😉

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anb6UaZgLQ9IdEdMdGJfelJiT3k1bGVJT0hvQ2VJSFE

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Andras_Fuchs, if you go to Devices and Printers and right click and go to printer preferences there is a way to select the printer to use "Draft Mode" this is the reduced ink setting that is often referenced in printing statistics.

Let me know how this goes!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 17 1 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NeonSkeleton,

"I print mostly b&w with the draft and normal settings using primarily the black ink cartridge only."

My problem is that I print with draft settings, I set the "use black ink only", but still somehow I lose ink every day.

The problem related to this might be that when I turn my printer on it takes 5 minutes (!!) to get it ready. After pressing the power button the display switches back and forth between the messages "Checking device. This might take several minutes." and "Clearing printhead". 

I also checked today the usage report page of my printer's web interface and between two switch-ons the Estimated Accumulated Ink Usage* changed like this:

Cyan 66.2 -> 66.5

Magenta 66.2 -> 66.5

Yellow 83.8 -> 84.2

Black 160.5 -> 160.9

And this happens _every time_ I switch the printer off and on again.

Just to convert this to dollars (using the prices on HP's site):

HP Cyan 14 ml - 21 USD

HP Magenta 14.5 ml - 21 USD

HP Yellow 14.5 ml - 21 USD

HP Black 28ml  - 27 USD

So one start-up costs: 0.3/14 * 21 + 0.3/14.5 * 21 + 0.4/14.5 * 21 + 0.4 / 28 * 27 = 0.45 + 0.43448 + 0.57931 + 0.38571 = 1.85 USD

I am just curious if anybody else has the same problem. Or is it a hardware or software problem. Nevertheless the printer doesn't report any errors, the printheads are indicated to be in good condition, but I don't think it's normal to waste 1.85 USD of ink every time I would like to use my printer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 17 1 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have just called HP Hungary and they told me that this behavior is normal. "It needs to be done."

Anyway, I've also measured the power consumption of the device which is 11W if it's plugged in and powered off, and 15W if it's powered on and ready to print.

If you leave your printer on for a month that's 15W*24h*30 (days) = 10.8kWh / month. It's about 1.77 USD (here in Hungary).

So the quick conclusion is that you should always leave your printer on, it's more economical than switching it on and off every day.

Andras

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
They are right, it is a normal process for the printer. The printer does not know the period that it was off and because of that goes through the "cleaning" process which does cause the printer to lose some ink. This is why each printer we make currently has an energy saving function to reduce the amount of times that the printer has to be turned off.

I hope this information is useful!
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 17 1 1
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi NeonSkeleton,

Yes, HP builds very good energy saving printers, I think it does a brilliant job when it comes to save energy. This machine (OfficeJet Pro 8500) consumes only 4 Watts when it is in standby!

I have to note one thing though: the adapter which comes with this printer (at least in Europe) consumes 11 Watt _no matter if the printer is on or off_!

So effectively the printer's whole power consumption is 0W unplugged, 11Ws if the adapter is plugged it but printer turned off, and 15Ws when the printer is on. It's just a shame that - I suppose - HP enginners try to spare as much energy they can when they design the printer and the cheap adapter wastes majority of their work...

Obviously this is only true for my 4-year old adapter (HP 0957-2262), you might have better ones since then.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Andras_Fuchs, very well observed, but I do have a little to add. HP printers have built into them surge protectors, and these surge protectors have capacitors which, even while the printer is saving energy or off, protect the printer by storing a small amount of power (much like a water reserve being held behind a dam which lets out a percent of the water no matter how much water is behind the wall). In this case the printer is likely storing 11W of power and then releasing that power back through the circuit. Most power adapters work in this fashion.

I hope this explains the discrepancy!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 17 1 1
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

NeonSkeleton, the behaviour of the adapter should work like you described, but my certified power consumption meter shows that the adapter uses 11Ws continuously. I don't feel like arguing about these 11Ws though 🙂 So my meter might be broken or unable to measure this kind of adapter, who knows. We're talking about less than 2 dollars per months, that is not my issue, the ink wasting was.

Thank you for your replies, I hope many people will gain some knowledge from our discussion and spare some ink and money by keeping their printers on (not like I did before).

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation