Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@tuygund wrote:

win 7 driver, help

The Windows 7 driver for the PSC 500 is delivered through Windows Update as described in this document.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi everybody,

I would like to ask for a help. I try to install my old HP PSC 500 to my new lenovo laptop with Windows 7/64bit.

As i dont have paralell port in my laptop, I use USB-to-Paralell cable to connect those two devices. 

Perhaps it is worth saying, that before i tried to connect this HP PSC 500 machine, I succesfully connected and used  another old printer HP Laserjet 1100. Windows installed it automatically without any problem.

Now when I try to install the HP PSC 500, there opens a small window with

"Driver Software instalation" and tries ti install two things - the "USB Printing Support" - which installs ok and it shows green hook and "Ready to use" --- and the second thing under "HEWLETT-PACKARDPSC 500" with red cross and  "No Driver Found".

As it is cleverly written on the site of HP that the driver is a part of the Windows 7, I cannot download and install the driver manually. However I thought it would be useless, I tried it through windows live update (or how it's called)  - cause this advice I have found many times in other forums.

The result is so far this that it doesnt work. The laptop doesnt communicate with the printer.

Could anybody please help me with this? I would be grateful

Thanks

J.M.

P.S.If I am in wrong thread, sorry, and feel free to move me...

HP Recommended

You could try the Deskjet 5550 driver located in Windows 7, which some users have successfully used on other printers. This is just a workaround that I have seen on the web.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Every time I click the Windows Update to get the driver, the system responds:  "Windows was unable to get a list of devices from Windows Update.  Try again..."  I have done this at least 10 times .  Is there no way to manually download the driver for the PSC 500??

HP Recommended

@shearst wrote:

Every time I click the Windows Update to get the driver, the system responds:  "Windows was unable to get a list of devices from Windows Update.  Try again..."  I have done this at least 10 times .  Is there no way to manually download the driver for the PSC 500??

The drivers (at least for the x86 version of Windows 7) can be downloaded from the Microsoft Catalog Site.  You will need to use Internet Explorer for the download, other browsers are not supported.  Download the 34.7Mb file and extract it using the command:

expand   *    .\    -f:*  

You can then go to Add Printer, Have a disk and point at the directory where you expanded the files.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I see the driver  in the catalog, but how do I download it?  And, since I rarely use command language, are the spaces in your "expand" command exactly as you typed them?

Thank you very much.

Shearst

HP Recommended

@shearst wrote:

I see the driver  in the catalog, but how do I download it?  And, since I rarely use command language, are the spaces in your "expand" command exactly as you typed them?

Thank you very much.

Shearst

Did I mention the catalog site is not very user friendly?   Find the file you want then click "Add" on the right.  Next go up near the top right and select "View Basket".  When this page comes up there will be a Download button in the upper right, click Download to save the file. 

The command line needs to have the following elements, without the quotes but with spaces (one or more, I put in extra's for emphasis...):  expand"   "*"  ".\"     "-f:*"

Since I posted  above I did find this link which details how to fix the "Windows Update cannot find..." problem. This would likely be easier than messing with the catalog site.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I downloaded the driver cabinet folder (from the catalog) you specified and executed the command "expand...".  This resulted in many messages " Cannot expand a file onto itself..."  It all flashed by very fast.  I then went into the downloaded folder and double clicked on each item to expand it into another folder.  Then I went to the "add printer" function and pointed to the folder I had expanded into.  However, this resulted in an error message "Folder does not contain a compatible software driver for your device".   Evidently I am doing something wrong.

I also investigated the link to Microsoft where a user found a solution by stopping the "Windows Update" service, deleting the folder "Software Distribution" and restarting the Windows Update.  I can find all of these things, but hesitate to delete a folder (on my brand new computer) when I am unaware of its function.  What do you recommend as the next step? 

Thank you for  responding; I apologize for the lenghty intervals, but life intervenes.

S Hearst

HP Recommended

@shearst wrote:

I downloaded the driver cabinet folder (from the catalog) you specified and executed the command "expand...".  This resulted in many messages " Cannot expand a file onto itself..."  It all flashed by very fast.  I then went into the downloaded folder and double clicked on each item to expand it into another folder.  Then I went to the "add printer" function and pointed to the folder I had expanded into.  However, this resulted in an error message "Folder does not contain a compatible software driver for your device".   Evidently I am doing something wrong.

I also investigated the link to Microsoft where a user found a solution by stopping the "Windows Update" service, deleting the folder "Software Distribution" and restarting the Windows Update.  I can find all of these things, but hesitate to delete a folder (on my brand new computer) when I am unaware of its function.  What do you recommend as the next step? 

Thank you for  responding; I apologize for the lenghty intervals, but life intervenes.

S Hearst

I found the same link in the Microsoft site that detailed the workaround for the broken Windows Update.  I had the same concerns about deleting a directory in the Windows folder, but I tried it and it worked fine. It does seem to only work once and then must be repeated if a new update is required.

I would suggest you go ahead with the processs, but it you are nervous about it just move the folder to the recycle bin where you could restore it if necessary.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Hi,  I followed the procedure for starting and stopping the windows update and successfully downloaded the PSC500 driver (and I did move that folder to the recycle bin).  However, now I cannot recognize the printer.  I purchased a converter cable (parallel printer adapter to USB) and plugged it into the front USB port and followed the set-up directions.  In my printer and device table I show an "IEEE-1284 Controller" when I plug into the USB port.  I also have a PSC 500 printer showing but cannot print a test page.  Any other suggetions?  Or is my PSC 500 destined to become a copier?

Thanks again.

S. Hearst

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.