Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Teacher
Message 1 of 71 (9,807 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP PhotoSmart Essential error on startup

Hello,

Up until the other day I was not having any issues when I would start my computer.  A few days ago when I started the computer I got a pop-up box titled "HPPhotosmartEssential" and it stated "Please wait while Windows configures HPPhotosmart Essential" and just a couple of seconds later another popup box titled "HPPhotosmartEssential" the the following information - "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personlel or package vendor"

I no longer have the installation CD for the OfficeJet J4680 printer but I do have the download software so I opened it up and it was installed to the temp folder.  from that I went to start and typed %Temp% and opened up that file and followed the following steps....

Open "Setup" folder

Open "Scan" folder. Right click on "scan" file (windows installer package) and click on "Repair". If any error appears,  again right click on the file and select "Install" 

Go back to Setup folder and open "bpd_scan" folder. Right click on "bpd_scan" file (windows installer package) and click on "Repair". If any error appears,  again right click on the file and select "Install"   

when I clicked Repair I got a new Window bpd_scan error message which it says: Module C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqebpd2.dll failed to register. HRESULT-2147220473. Contact your support personnel. I Clicked OK & continued to the following step

Go back to Setup folder and open "destinations" folder. Repeat the above process and that repair went fine.

I restarted the pc but the problem still exists.  (I have removed the shortcut for this file which was located in start>programs>startup ----- I removed the shortcut for this file (titled HP Digital Imaging Monitor).

I have also opened a command prompt (ran as administrator) and typed in regsvr32 hpqebpd2.dll and that stated DLLRegister Server in hpqebpd2dll succeeded.

I restarted the pc but when I click on the file to open it (even if I do it as a right click and run as administrator) I am still getting the 2 popup boxes.  And when I click okay or cancel the boxes still pop up 3 or 4 more times before it stops.

I did notice that once I have clicked to run / open that file it does show up in the lower right hand corner but I still get those popup boxes multiple times.

Nothing had changed overnight on the pc so I am not sure why the problem suddenly occurred.  I have run multiple online scans for viruses and malware as well as a boot scan but nothing has been found.   I did run ccleaner and noticed that it found a missing DLL for  C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP\DIGITAL IMAGING\bin\HpqSRmon.exe

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium with all of the current updates and it is an officejet j4680 all in one printer.

Other than trying a complete uninstall of the printer software from control panel or revo uninstaller and then installing the software again I am not sure what I can do to possibly resolve the issue.   The printer software is version 14.

Any other possible suggestions or solutions would be very much appreciated.

TIA

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP PhotoSmart Essential error on startup

I am glad you replied! I was anxious to share with you all that I did resolve my issue last night after carefully following the steps I mentioned above. That way I can now explain the steps in a little easier fashion. When I first started experiencing this start up error, I thought it was related to my network because it also happened when I turned the printer on and off. I would have to press OK, Cancel, etc what felt like 50 times before my error message went away. I know it is a different file but the symptoms are exactly the same since an uninstall did not resolve the issue nor repairing things in the device manager. It looks like the link you provided had very simple steps for an L3 uninstall. Great link but I found a simple way for the common user. Here are the steps I took last night and my computer has never worked better:

1. I did a normal uninstall first. Remember if you have a USB cable to wait until the uninstall prompts you to remove the cord as well as wait for the install to tell you to plug it back in. The complete uninstall took close to 25 minutes.

At the end of the uninstall process, you will get a prompt to click "finish" however I did not click this. I waited to restart my computer after I ran the disc cleanup utility found in all programs>>accessories>>system tools>>disc cleanup.  This process took almost an hour.

2. After the disc cleanup was complete I rebooted the computer by clicking the "finish" button from the HP software that was still on my desktop.

3. After the reboot, I followed the link to CCleaner and would like to mention to those not too computer savvy to be careful pressing the green "download now" button more than once. It appears there are quite a handful of commercial products that look like they were trying to trick you into downloading more software.

4. Once the download was complete, CCleaner opened and seemed much easier to use than I would have thought. I selected the registry tab on the left, "scanned for issues," then selected fix scan after backing up the files to be removed (the software asked me if I wanted to back them up so I did). Sometimes you can scan it up to three times until all the issues have been fixed. Easy as it may seem, I still strongly recommend reading as much about this product before installing it (see previous posts). This process was done very quickly so I decided to use the file cleaner as well. That did take quite some time - roughly 30 minutes.

5. This time I rebooted by computer by shutting it completely down and then turning it back on with the power button. I have always liked this method instead of selecting to "restart" the computer.

6. I confirmed my operating system of my computer by going to the start button and right-clicking on "My Computer" and selecting properties at the bottom of the gray box just to make sure I don't install the wrong HP Software. Then simply re-installed the software at www.hp.com/support by typing in the name of my printer under support and drivers tab. The entire installation process took 20 minutes and I even received an error at the beginning of my extraction process that stated "Extraction failed. File is corrupt." My heart sank for a little bit but after clicking the "download" button again I had absolutely no problems installing my network printer.

7. I would like to add, during the installation process, you will see a screen that says "Click here to customize" and I deselected Product Participation, HP Update, and a few other unnecessary tools but I kept the driver, Solution Center, HP Imaging Device (which is what was causing my problem) and HP Photosmart Essentials since it was what was causing your issue. I had no problems after that.

8. Lastly, I did a reboot just to make sure all the start-up errors went away and the computer started up faster than ever before with no errors. Final test of all the features worked very well. I was happy to try these steps on my own last night so that I could provide a way to reword things for anyone too afraid to get deep into their computer files. Hopefully the method of keeping it simple will also keep you printing because please remember, using third party software comes with its own risks. Let me know if this doesn't work and then we can talk about an L3/L4 uninstall.

View solution in context
Tutor
Message 2 of 71 (9,790 Views)

I am getting this exact same message. I am not as computer savy as you. I do not know what to do about it. I made sure all my software is up to date

Teacher
Message 3 of 71 (9,775 Views)

tochoci ~ I'm really not that computer savvy.  Everything that I know has been either trial and error or lots of research on the internet and books.  The steps that I took were after doing a lot of searching for solitions to this problem.

You can find that information at 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/A-required-software-component-was-not-found...

I also found some information at 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/Module-C-Program-File...

I had to click on browse to get to the location for the actual files in the steps I took instead of just using the location that was in the box - otherwise I got an error which is why I needed to click  on browse and find the files to follow those steps to begin with.  Unfortunately, it did not help me.  (but it does seem to have helped some folks if you read the posts that I added above.)   There is information as well about an OJJ4600_Scrubber_13.exe download for possibly fixing the issue but I am running version 14 on my pc.  

I did find the proper software for version 14 by doing a search for OJJ4600_scrubber and found this link http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-search/search-results.html?charset=iso-8859-1&lk=1&la=en&nh=10&st=1&rf=0... 

which will give you the different versions of that software depending on the version you have installed.   Instead of highlighting all of the above since it did not show up as a link if you go to the upper right hand corner and type in OJJ4600_Scrubber in the search box it will give you all of the versions of the scrubber software.

Hopefully, someone will see our posts and give us some direction.

Lisa

Tutor
Message 4 of 71 (9,753 Views)

Yes I hope someone reads our posts and can help. My hp is a C 5240 all in one. 

Teacher
Message 5 of 71 (9,751 Views)

[ Edited ]

tochoci ~ I don't know which version of windows you are using or if you have tried this yet but did you see the link to "Fix Common Problems Using HP Diagnostic Tools"?   http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03292149

I found software for a print and scan doctor at http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03286146

and at http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03286146

I may try that when I get back this afternoon and see if it helps since it states that it may help to resolve missing or corrupt drivers (not sure if that is the problem we are having or not - but it's worth a try!

Lisa

Honor Student
Message 6 of 71 (9,744 Views)

I too suddenly started getting this when first booting computer

Please waite while  Windows configures HPPhotosmartEssential

then another box states: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A program required for this install to complete could not run. 

It takes 4-5 times of cancelling it to go away.  But I was still able to print without problems.  Just the hassle on start up getting the message to go awat. 

So I uninstalled my old printer downloaded new drivers from HP  AIP_CDP_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_141

Printing works, and so does using HP Solution Center to scan items.  

However, I still get the HP Photosmart Essential error on startup.  Prior to this error I had not made any changes to a well working program.  Have scanned and checked for Malware and Viruses and nothing.

What's up?

Honor Student
Message 7 of 71 (9,743 Views)

I forgot to add my printer is an older 3210 all in one loaded on Windows 7

Teacher
Message 8 of 71 (9,740 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, it looks like there are a few of us having this issue and each with a different printer and with at least 2 different versions of windows.

I did try the print and scan doctor and when I ran the scan testing it said that it fixed an issue and to test the scanning - however I was not having an issue with scanning or printing ---- just that annoying box on startup.

Anyway, when the print and scan doctor was done doing it thing I did get the popups at first but when I selected to start again the popups did not appear this time.  I also noticed that there as a new shortcut in the start>programs>startup folder titled hp

SORRY ---- not sure why the whole post did not get entered so I started it again below

Teacher
Message 9 of 71 (9,738 Views)

Well, it looks like there are a few of us having this issue and each with a different printer and with at least 2 different versions of windows.

I did try the print and scan doctor and when I ran the scan testing it said that it fixed an issue and to test the scanning - however I was not having an issue with scanning or printing ---- just that annoying box on startup.

Anyway, when the print and scan doctor was done doing it thing I did get the popups at first but when I selected to start again the popups did not appear this time.  I also noticed that there as a new shortcut in the start>programs>startup folder titled hpqtra08 and this is an .exe file and the HP icon was again in the sys tray.  After I ran the test the second time it stated that there were no problems and the pop ups were gone ----- until I restarted the computer again.  

Soooooo..... that print and scan doctor did not help me out and instead of the shortcut that was in the start>programs>startup folder being a shortcut to the HP Digital Imaging Monitor it is now hpqtra08.exe.  Guess I will have to move that one out of that folder -- otherwise I am going to keep getting those darn popups on startup.

I am guessing that when I ran it the first time for the scanning it found that there was no file in the shortcut folder of start>programs and put one in there (which I removed to begin with so that I was not getting those pop ups every time I started the computer.

Since allinonehpuser already tried uninstalling the print drivers and installing new ones and they too are having the same issue it would seem it would be a waste of time to try doing that.

Anybody have any suggestions?????

Distinguished Professor
Message 10 of 71 (9,646 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have an older HP Photosmart c6380 which has a very similar start-up issue. I have never attempted to tackle this issue as it is the last thing I want to do when I get home from work. I see a lot of people have posted on here so I have questions for you all before we attempt to get too deep into the registry.

The most important question I have for you all is how is your printer connected to your computer?  Did you install it USB, wireless, or ethernet?

Do you all have Solution Center on your desktop?

My printer at home is connected and installed via wireless. I emailed myself this document to help resolve this issue but it mentions using a registry cleaner and I tend to stray away from those because I will have to do a complete L4 uninstall for my non-HP computer in order for a registry cleaner to even work. In fact, at the end of this document I posted it states, "If you do decide to install a registry cleaner, be sure to research the product thoroughly, and then download and install programs only from software publishers that you trust."

For those who consider themselves technologically advanced, these are the steps required to completely clean the printer software and registry keys from the computer. If you do not have the software disc, then I recommend checking this HP website for the latest Full Feature Software and Drivers before uninstalling the device from the computer.

From a download:

1. Run disk cleanup on your computer

2. Download and run the software and drivers below.

3. Once the download is done extracting, cancel the download.

4. Click the start menu.

5. Click Run.

6. Type %temp% in the run field

7. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356). There may be many 7z folders, so look for a folder with Util in it.

8. Open folder Util

9. Open folder CCC

10. Run the uninstall_ L4.bat for non-HP computers.  For HP computers run the Uninstall_L3.bat

11. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

12. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

13. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads​.html

14. Use the CCleaner Tool link below to clean the system and registry.  Note: This utility is not HP sponsored or approved.  HP and I are not responsible for damages or loss of data caused by the utility.  This step is optional.   You can skip it if you want.

15. Download the full feature software and drivers

16. Run the download to reinstall the printer

Read the document link I posted at the top thoroughly before attempting any troubleshooting steps, because every single one of you have a different operating system and a different printer.  This registry cleaner comes highly recommended but please read this main page before running the software so you have an idea of what it does and how to use it. To download it, click the green Download Now button on the left. If you are too afraid to use it just respond and I can type a brief description. There is a video on this page about how to use this registry cleaner as well.

Let me know if this document helps all of you because I know how hard it is to find something that is easy to understand.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation