Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Ok, so as the subject suggests, i have a HP PhotoSmart c4580, been working fine for as long as i can remember, however i've recently started using it again as i had no ink until now and when i try to use the control panel on the front of the printer i get an error message "Scan Error. Try scan from computer or see documentation. Press OK."

I can scan from the computer fine however i really would like to have this functionality back as it's quite handy as the printer is not in the same room as the PC i use.

my environment variables are as follows:

Printer: HP PhotoSmart c4580 (Connected Wirelessly)

Firmware: WRLxFN0823AR

PC OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Connected Via Ethernet)

Router: Netgear DGN1000

Router Firmware: V1.1.00.45_ww

These are all the bits of information i can think of but if any more information is needed please don't hesitate to askHP PhotoSmart c4580 error.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello Shadow152,

Please take a look at this document, and follow the troubleshooting steps and let me know if it helps resolve your issue.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
Uniprog, thank you for the suggestion, i have tried all the steps in the document you provided but the problem still persists, i also tried doing a full reset through the on screen menu on the printer and this did not help either 😞
HP Recommended

Hello Shadow152,

Thank you for the update.  Try the steps in this document and let me know if you have better luck.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

@Shadow152 wrote:

Ok, so as the subject suggests, i have a HP PhotoSmart c4580, been working fine for as long as i can remember, however i've recently started using it again as i had no ink until now and when i try to use the control panel on the front of the printer i get an error message "Scan Error. Try scan from computer or see documentation. Press OK."

I can scan from the computer fine however i really would like to have this functionality back as it's quite handy as the printer is not in the same room as the PC i use.

These are all the bits of information i can think of but if any more information is needed please don't hesitate to askHP PhotoSmart c4580 error.JPG

@Shadow152 wrote:

please somebody HELP

HP Recommended

Hello lioncat.

If you are receiving the same message as everyone in this post, then please follow this entire HP document on 'An error occurred while communicating with scanning device', as UniProg stated in the previous post. 

Make sure you turn off any Firewalls or Anti-virus running on your computer, since they could interfere.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if this didn't resolve your issue after completing all the troubleshooting steps listed above.

I worked on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.