cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
21 15 0 3
Message 1 of 42
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Photosmart 5510 - will not print using black ink

HP Recommended

I am having problems with my HP Photosmart 5510 All-in-One printer, in that he will not print in black. All cartridges are brand new, and are genuine HP cartridges. I have never used anything other than HP cartridges, and I believe I would be considered a very light user of the printer.

I use an HP Pavilion desktop PC (Vista Home Premium) connected to the printer via USB cable.

I have ‘reset’ the printer (power cable removed for 20 seconds), I have cleaned the printheads and tried re-aligning the printer.

I have run HP Print and Scan diagnostics and get the message “Everything checks out OK with your product.” I then print a test page which ‘fails’, in that there is no black ink in use. The diagnostic confirms that ink levels are all OK, and that my printer is using genuine HP ink, and that Normal or Best Quality is selected.

The printer is just over one year old and as mentioned has had very light use.

There are no error messages - everything suggests that all is OK.

I would appreciate a solution to this problem.

Coincidentally my previous printer an HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One failed in a similar way, although in that instance the black was fine, it was the colours that failed to print correctly. Again the printer was just out of warranty.

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Level 11
8,714 7,796 283 651
Message 2 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Terry, it sounds like you've done all the usual troubleshooting. Is the printer long out of warranty? (is it just a week out or a couple of months?). What country are you based in? Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
21 15 0 3
Message 3 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ciara - thank you for your interest.

The warranty ended at the end of March.

The printer has NOT had excessive use by any means.

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
33,086 26,468 2,404 8,615
Message 4 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For the Photosmart 5510 the troubleshooting steps in the document here may help.  Especially make sure the vents are cleared.  If that does not resolve the issue then resetting the printer as described in the post here may help.  If this does not resolve the issue then read the entire thread here and try requesting reset instructions.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

Highlighted
Level 11
8,714 7,796 283 651
Message 5 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Terry, sorry to hear that the printer is out of warranty. Could I please ask which country you're based in? Approx how many pages would you have printed per month?

Thanks, Ciara

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
21 15 0 3
Message 6 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have now tried removing the cartridges and the hard reset, and I am still unable to print in black.

There seems to be another possible solution regarding another sort of reset?

I assume that is my next option.

I am travelling away from home for a few days but I will be back middle of next week.

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
21 15 0 3
Message 7 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am based in the UK.

I would estimate on average that I have printed no more than about 10-20 pages per month and maybe five or six photos.

Thanks for your continued interest. As you will see from my other post I am away from today until the middle of next week.

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
21 15 0 3
Message 8 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We seem to have come to stop on this, but I still can not print. I understand that there is some other sort of reset available - please can I have details as this seems to be the next step?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
Highlighted
Level 11
8,714 7,796 283 651
Message 9 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Terry

Check out the post from JustinNS....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Printing-and-Scanning/Photosmart-6510-not-printing-in-black/td-p/13...

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks, Ciara

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
21 15 0 3
Message 10 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ciara - thank you for the prompt response.

I have tried this link and it seems to bring me back to my own post?

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation