Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I did the reset and re-plugged the  power cord 2-3 times few days back just 1 week back. Yes, I heard some noise (not normal and loud though) of movement for just 1-2 seconds. Then it stopped. The carriage is not at all moving...

HP Recommended

You might try doing the reset with access doors closed.  When you plug the power cord back in, you could unplug it once you hear movement in the printer.  Sometimes there is enough movement during startup to unlock the carriage.  If it did move far enough ( I wouldn't force it ), you could move the carriage to the middle and do Solution 4 of the Carriage Jam document.  You could also have a better look on the other side of the carriage to see if there is any paper there.

If that doesn't work, you could try downloading and running the  HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows.  Does that help?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended

Same problem here.  Carriage won't move.  I have already followed troubleshooting documents.  THERE IS NO PAPER JAM.  Carraige will not move.  On start up it make noises like it's trying to move but it's stuck.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry to hear that you are having issue with the printer carriage not working. I have found a document that trouble shoots the issue of the "Ink cartridges missing or damaged" error.  Please click on the link to get to the document.    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03262515

If this does NOT resolve the issue, please feel free to write back and I will be happy to do more research on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

My cartridge was stuck completely to the right, couldnt get it to move at all. After much jiggling around and trying to pull it towards the left the carriage sort of popped down a little more inside to the right.  I tried to pull it to the left but it was still stuck like something was blocking it, and it popped back up when i pulled harder.  I messed with it to the point where the carriage popped back down, then I plugged the printer back in and it was working fine. I don't know what was wrong with it exactly but it seemed to fix it

HP Recommended

Big thanks to the last post. This gave me the confidence to try a more rigourous approach to the carraige and it worked! Basically tried to push it further in to the right instead of contstantly trying to pull it left. With this and a bit of jiggling about the carraige dropped down. Decided to stop there as some movement was better than none and turned the printer back on - hallelujah, it's now working again! Daughter has no excuse not to do homework now so not everyone happy.

HP Recommended

I have similar problem to those in this post.  Inserted new catridges, and get error "Ink Cartridge Problem.  One or more Catridges appear to be missing or damaged.  Install or replace the affected Catridges."

But when I open the ink catridge access door to do this, the catridges do not move to the left.

I've tried a bit of force, both pulling to the left and pushing to the right, and pressing down.  But nothing.

Also noticed that when I switch the printer on after switching off (using off button) I get error "To avoid damage use On button to turn off the printer."

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Update: I managed to fix it.  But I had to undo 6 screws on the top, to get at the catridge carry mechanism, to pull it to the left.  I think the issue was that the catridges had not been put in properly, and popped up when the carry was in the "home" position, therefore jamming the carry.

HP Recommended

My neighbour asked me to have a look at his 5520.

His carriage isn't actually jammed, and seems quite free - however, it won't reach to eather end of the run.

We followed the hint on the LCD readout ie: Clear Carriage Jam, by pushing carriage to both ends of the run.

When to the left of the unit, the carriage was sticking out enough to expose half of the black & all the Yellow cartridges.

When on the right of the unit, it sticks out far enough to expose Red, Blue & Yellow cartridges.

When trying to push carriage either way, the stop seems quite a solid.  There is nothing visable to stop the carriage, nor is there any paper jam etc etc.

Any ideas please ?

------------------------------------------------
Pavilion DV9500 + 4Gb ram + Win-7 ult 32bit.
BROKE AGAIN - NO MORE H.P FOR ME

Photosmart 5520
------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

LITERALLY SO EASY TO FIX!!! I was pulling on the cartridge/carriage over a period of 2 days and it wasn't moving. I put a lot of force on the carriage. I did't want to rip the thing out and break it. I put the wrong type of ink cartridge in and then it got stuck on the right side of the printer.

TO FIX: Take out any paper in the paper tray and then pull the paper tray out completely. Or I guess you could leave the paper and pull the paper tray out. Then open the access door and pull the carriage to the left again. It moves easily to the right. DONE. I should have tried that yesterday...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.