Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer was working fine until I had a paper jam.  I had to remove the cover behind the cartridges to get the paper out.  I replaced it.  Now all other colors print but black.  I have replaced the cartridge but the problem persists.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @dottiesm,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you are unable to print in black from your HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer.

This issue could occur if the printhead is damaged or do not work.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide in the link: Black Ink Not Printing

Let me know how that works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I had already done all of these things, but the blank ink still won't print.

HP Recommended

Hi @dottiesm,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

This issue could occur if the drivers are corrupted.

I suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the drivers by following the steps listed below:

You may follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, you may follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing any one of the following:

(a). Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.

(b) From the Start menu or the Start screen and open Devices and Printers. Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window. Click on the Drivers tab.

2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.

3. Click the Remove button.

3. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Download and install the Drivers from the link: Full Feature Software and Drivers

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Well that didn't work either.  This is very frustrating.  The printer isn't that old and now if I have to buy a new one, I'll not only have the cost of the printer but I'll close to $100 in brand new ink cartridges that I can't use.

HP Recommended

Hi @dottiesm,

Thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I have had the exact same issue with an HP 5520 for the last month. I have done the following:

- replaced the black 

- cleaned the printer heads

- reinstalled the software on my Windows 7 machine.

- checked for firmware update (up to date)

- HP Scan doctor says all is ok with the printer.

The printer will not print black via web services (e-mail), wireless direct, windows(usb). Other colours are fine. 

I have only ever used HP genuine cartridges in this printer. It has printed 2900 pages with 13 black cartridges. 

This is very frustrating. Happy to try anything at this stage. 

Regards

Eoin

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with the printer not printing black.  I have done everything that HP has suggested and changed the print cartridge.  Has anyone found a solution yet?  One thing different on the black ink cartridge tray receptacle - there is a round screen where the cartridge ink fit in the tray.  The other cartridge tray receptacles do not have this screen.

HP Recommended

I too am having this problem with only black not printing after changing the cartridge twice  (with new and verified HP genuine replacements)

have done the reset and print driver reinstall as advised in the earlier posts but nothing changes and only the 3 colours continue to print anything at all.

There is this screen protector only covering the black input socket on my 5524 model as well ..is this significant? 

Since having tried all the previous suggestions I thought of putting some alcohol solvent down the black socket to unblock it ...has anyone else done this successfully?

HP Recommended

@MikeE2017

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the HP Photo-smart 5520 won't print black ink,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you used a genuine HP Ink cartridges?

While you respond to that, here's what I recommend you do:

Step 1: Use genuine HP ink cartridges

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to hp.com/go/anticounterfeit.

Visit HP SureSupply to check ink or toner cartridge compatibility or purchase replacement cartridges and other supplies.

1. Go to HP SureSupply.

2. If necessary, select your country/region.

Figure : Country/region selector

Selecting your country/region
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to order new supplies or check cartridge compatibility with your printer.

You can also purchase genuine HP cartridges and supplies from other retailers.

If using genuine HP ink cartridges did not resolve the issue, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Allow automatic servicing to complete

Your HP printer has an automatic servicing routine that can solve many print quality issues. There is nothing you need to do. The print quality should improve a few hours after you experience the issue.

If you cannot wait for the automatic servicing routine to complete, continue with the following troubleshooting steps.

Step 3: Check the paper

Make sure the paper you are using is appropriate for the print job. If the paper is not appropriate, reload the printer with an appropriate paper type.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.