Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
zbone1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Photosmart 7510 Energy Saving Mode Problem

hello,

I purchased the HP 7510 all in one printer in June and have lived with this issue for a little over 6 months. The issue I am having is energy saving mode. When the printer decided to go into energy saving mode (5,10 or 15 minutes of being idle) it isn't able to wake up from sleep mode on it's own. I do realize that there is an Auto-Off feature and I have that option currectly set to disabled. I think that this printer is a great printer in regards to printing/scanning/faxing etc.... but that's only whenever it's actually turned on. To solve me issue temporarily I actually go to the printer when I want to print something, press the power key to let it know I want to print something (half the time it doesn't wake up from a reboot so I have to physically unplug it from the back) then go back to my pc and select the document I want to print and finally go back to the printer. Obviously this procedure is unacceptable and I have told my friends and family about this issue and they laugh and tell me about the printer(s) that they own and I should of bought. 

To further investigate my issue I called HP support...omg, the first call I made was to an outsourced tech support and the reason I know it was outsourced because clearly, the lady's native language wasn't English. The language barrier I had to deal with for 2+ hours was unbelieveable and I actually made an excuse and told her the reception on my phone was bad and that's why I was asking over and over "Sorry, can you repeat that". Needless to say I pray everytime I call up support to have somebody that I can communicate with properly.

I made another call tonight and the representative had spoken English a lot better than the previous, but she was very quiet and had to get headphones for my iphone to be able to hear her. We talked about the ongoing issue and eventually she transfered me to her supervisor named Mark. Mark told me that this is a known issue and the people at HP are working on a firmware update for the HP 7510 printer. I was relieved when he says this, but can anybody verify if there are programmers devoting their time to an older printer?

I was also a little disappointed with Mark when I told him my exact issue. I explained my procedure; I go to the printer to power it on from sleep mode, I go back to my pc to print a document, I go back to the printer to grab what is printed, then go back to my desk. His response was, "Is the PC and printer in the same room?".

I mean seriously.... This is a really annoying issue, I know the printer works correctly, but only when I physically walk to it and wake it up from sleep mode. Can anybody please tell me if there is a planned firmware update for my printer or is it going to come AFTER my warranty expires and I'm screwed with a $150 papperweight?

As requested here is all the printer information so people can verify I am running the latest firmware on the printer.

HP Photosmart 7510 e-All-in-One - C311a

Model number -CQ877A

Serial number -Request if needed.

Firmware ----- VEP1CN1137CR

I have this printer currently connected to a linksys WRT-610N. The printer currently has its own static ip that I manually set in the linksys settings. I have 3 windows 7 (64bit) desktops and a windows 7 (64bit) laptop that I have tried to print on when the printer is in energy saving mode. I always get the error message saying something about failed to communicate with the printer. I would think that when I try to print a document the printer would be smart enough to accept the signal I send to it and would wake up via wireless. I notice the wireless indicator light on the printer is always light up and is never flashing, stating that the printer is in fact connected to the network and not having any issues dropping connection.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
3962 3877 591 651
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am going to look into this case for you, but I need a little information.  I will be sending you a private message to your inbox.  Please check these messages.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
3962 3877 591 651
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have sent your information to the correct people.  You should be receiving communication in the near future in the form of a private message.  Please check your inbox messages.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
0 Kudos
LyndonL Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I, too, am having this exact same problem. 

Product Name: HP Photosmart 7510 e-All-in-One - C311a

Product Model Number: CQ880A

Firmware Version: VEP1CN1137CR

Can you please advise me also regarding an ETA for the firmware fix?

Regards,

Lyndon

0 Kudos
zbone1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

okay guys, I am not sure if there was a firmware update or what, but the printer is actually waking up correctly now. I have actually done NOTHING to make the printer start working. I am in college for IT networking, the router has been assigned a static ip and has still been using that static ip since the beginning of the initial thread. I haven't done anything to make the printer wake up correctly from energy savings mode.

The only thing I can think of that might of kicked it into gear is I have printed over 300 pages in the past couple weeks and before the 300 pages, I have owned it since around june and had only had - life time total pages printed around 120. So, what i'm trying to say is that either there was a firmware update and the printer automatically downloaded and installed the update, (because I haven't checked for an update since I created this thread) or printing the pages got it to work correctly.

I might sound funny mentioning it, but would printing over a certain amount eventually get the energy savings mode to work? Might sound stupid, but could somewhere in the coding of the firmware trigger energy saving mode to wake up correctly after a certain number of pages are printer lol????

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation