Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a photosmart 7510 printer and I'm printing from microsoft word 2010 on a windows 8 computer. I'm printing a word document with no pictures in it. The printer preferences are set to Plain Paper with Normal quality. I cannot get the printer to use the XL black ink cartridge. It only uses the photo black ink. Is there a setting I can choose to get it to use the regular black ink?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi shirsar,

I understand you have a Photosmart 7510 that seems to be using a lot more of the photo black than the regular black ink. I'm sorry to hear this, but believe I can assist you with a solution.

You can set the printer to use black ink only when printing from the PC and that should ensure that it uses that the black ink and not the photo ink. My instructions will be to set it up in the driver so it does it for all programs (if you want it for just the program please let me know and I will advise further). You will want to start with going to your Start screen, and just start typing Devices and Printers and you will want to open that (if that doesn't work type in Control Panel and then proceed to open Devices and Printers). Once Devices and Printers is open, right click on your Photosmart 7510 icon and select Printing Preferences. You will then want to click the Advanced button at the bottom right of the screen. The next page that opens will allow you to set the printer to use Black Ink Only when printing from the PC (please follow the screen shot below for any clarification).

GrayscaleWin7.jpg

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi shirsar,

I understand you have a Photosmart 7510 that seems to be using a lot more of the photo black than the regular black ink. I'm sorry to hear this, but believe I can assist you with a solution.

You can set the printer to use black ink only when printing from the PC and that should ensure that it uses that the black ink and not the photo ink. My instructions will be to set it up in the driver so it does it for all programs (if you want it for just the program please let me know and I will advise further). You will want to start with going to your Start screen, and just start typing Devices and Printers and you will want to open that (if that doesn't work type in Control Panel and then proceed to open Devices and Printers). Once Devices and Printers is open, right click on your Photosmart 7510 icon and select Printing Preferences. You will then want to click the Advanced button at the bottom right of the screen. The next page that opens will allow you to set the printer to use Black Ink Only when printing from the PC (please follow the screen shot below for any clarification).

GrayscaleWin7.jpg

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I think this worked but then I can only print in black and white. I was hoping that text would be printed with the XL black ink since there is more of it and I would still be able to print color.

HP Recommended

Hi shirsar,

Thanks for the reply!

I can definitely understand where you're coming from, but with the printer's design this appears to be the only way to stop it from using the Photo Black so much.

To do it on a print by print basis, when you're in the program you're printing from and click File and Print there will be a
Preferences button in that window. If you click that you will get a similar screen to my previous screen shot and can change to black ink only when you need to. It requires you do it each time you print but then you can still easily print in color.

Hope this makes it easier for you!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

So, I ran into the same problem but I have a mac and I was wondering if you could help me with that.

Thank you so much,

Toomy

HP Recommended

Hello Toomy and welcome to the HP forums!

I'd be happy to help you set up a Black Ink Only setting on your Mac as well 🙂

You would just want to follow the red arrows for the proper drop downs to select. Once that is all selected, you can click where it says Presets: Default Settings and click the Save option to make a Black Ink Only preset so that each time you want to print in Black Ink Only you just have to hit one drop down menu 🙂

GrayscaleMac.jpg

Let me know if that works for you Toomy!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you soooo much 🙂 that really helped a lot!!

HP Recommended

I have a 7510 c311a and have tried to follow the directions provided so well by one of the other contributors.  My problem is that when I get to the "black ink only," the printer selection shifts to one of the other printers on my system.  Guess the 7510 just doesn't like black ink only.  Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have a mac and am having the same problem. We have a photo black cartridge that is completely empty and a regular black ink cartridge that is completely full, and I've done exactly what was recommended above but it's still printing blank pages. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

ST

HP Recommended

Hello @ThreeStripes & @SabrinaT and welcome to the HP Forums!

If that didn't seem to help at all, as that should direct the printer to be using the black ink cartridge specifically, I'd call our technical team and advise them you believe there may be an issue with your cartridge.

Hope that helps 🙂

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.