cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
normalblastew
Level 2
13 10 1 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Photosmart B109n - where is all the ink going?

This morning I have changed my black and yellow ink cartridges with genuine parts in the expectation of printing some high quality images on card.  After changing the ink cartridges I find I have very poor quality; no black printing. I then searched this forum for most of the morning looked for advice and even followed instructions to 'soak' my printhead. I then managed to get one image printed at acceptable quality but we are now back to square one - very strippy black printing. I repeated the clean process from my print driver but now I find all my cartridges are empty. So that was two full cartridges and two cartridges that indicated 3/4 full... and now 1 hour and 1 print later I have 4 empty cartidges - kind of an expensive morning.

This has cost me in excess of £40.

Bearing in mind that I have followed most of the advice on this forum, what do I do now?

JT

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 748 1,773
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi @normalblastew,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that you are wondering where all the ink is going for your HP Photosmart B109n printer. I am sorry to hear this, but happy to look into this for you!

Two scenarios that I think might be happening are: 1) The ink catridges are leaking, and 2) A hardware problem with the printer caused the ink to leak.

If you have gone through this guide, Fixing Print Quality Problems for the HP Photosmart B109 All-in-One Printer Series. As well as soaking the printhead, the next best option is to please call our phone support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

0 Kudos
normalblastew
Level 2
13 10 1 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the response.

I have been through the guide and did manage to print out some of the diagnositics pages from the 'hidden' menu.

How would I know if the cartridges were leaking? There is alot of ink inside the printer; it is clearly visible when I open the lid.

I have ordered one more new set of ink cartridges on the basis that if these don't work the whole printer is going in the bin - its costing me a small fortune at the moment.

Sadly this morning the web interface into the printer has stopped working - I had to scan a document onto an SD card placed into the slot on the printer rather than use the web scan interface; this could be another nail in the coffin for this device.

John T.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 748 1,773
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi normalblastew,

If there is a lot of ink inside the printer, most likely it the cartridges are leaking.

If the new set of cartridges still does the same, then it is definitely an issue with the printer's hardware. Please call our phone support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Best regards! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

0 Kudos
normalblastew
Level 2
13 10 1 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The new set of cartridges have just run out - I estimate that I have printed about 20 single sheets of A4 with these cartridges.  All was ok to start with and the cartridges were showing about 70% used when, this morning, the black stopped printing again - I performed two clean cycles which did not clear the black ink and at that point suddenly a message appeared on the printer: all the colour cartridges were empty and the black was down to 15%ish full.

I guess it is a fault with the printer.

How many sheets should I expect to print with a brand new set of cartridges; typically e-mails, bookings and orders that I have placed?  I have not printed any photos with this batch of cartridges.

JT

Happy New Year everyone.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 748 1,773
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi normalblastew,

If the new set of cartridges emptied that quickly, definitely there is something wrong with your printer's hardware.

You should be getting an estimated 200-250 pages worth of printing with normal size cartridges.

At this time your best option is to please call our phone support at 800-474-6836 for your upgrade options. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Best regards! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
normalblastew
Level 2
13 10 1 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello RnRMusicMan,

To be honest I think the printer is probably too old now to be worth spending any more time or resources. So I have now scrapped the old photosmart; it is sitting at the landfill/recycling centre as I type. I have, thanks to the responses you gave on this forum, replaced it with an HP ENVY 5530;  I was thinking of avoiding HP but as you have been responsive on this forum I am happy to go with HP again.

I am about to sign up for hpconnect which I understand will mean that replacement cartridges are ordered automatically for a monthly payment from me; looking at the monthly cost it looks alot cheaper than the amount I have been spending on the B109.

Thanks.

John T.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation