Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I flipped up the paper tray extender. Now I don't know how to close the paper tray extender. Does anyone know how to? I don't want to break the printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The tray extender seems to catch on something inside the paper tray.

I guess I'm glad for anybody who gets their equipment replaced under warranty, but it seems like a pretty silly way to address a minor machanical issue with an otherwise functional device.

Here's what I did to fix the problem with my out-of-warranty C4780:

Find a thin, rigid tool that is longer than the distance from the left edge of the tray extender to the left edge of the paper tray. (I used a bread knife ... not very safe.)

The tool needs to be long enough to reach the edge of the extender inside the paper tray.

Insert the tool into the gap in the paper tray (where the extender goes when it is closed) as close to the body of the printer as possible.

Gently press on the edge of the extender that is inside the paper tray.

The extender should give slightly. It's now loose. Remove the tool and close the extender.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

See the animated video in Step Seven of THIS document. It shows you how to open the paper tray. Just do the opposite to close it.

I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

I had the same problem and felt very foolish to initiate a live chat.  It turns out I may get a replacement printer!  Odd.

HP Recommended

Mine's totally stuck-- I can't get it to budge at all.  Am kicking myself-- I only opened it for the first time in a year of having the printer because it was refusing to print on photo paper.  I guess I should call in :Crying: unless someone knows how to unstick it!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem tonight. i used a wire clothes hanger and slide it into the side of the tray and push it gentle under the tray  and it unlocked to letter holder.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  Couldn't get the clothes hanger solution to work, either.

I was afraid of breaking it.  But I gave it a good punch TO THE SIDE and it worked!

HP Recommended

I've noticed that these printers have an extender that pulls out and swings from the side. Try pushing from the right hand side of the extender to the left and see if it closes. I had a good look at one where I work and I can't see anything that would cause it to get stuck. Just make sure the little lip on the end of it is folded down and it should close.

HP Recommended

The tray extender seems to catch on something inside the paper tray.

I guess I'm glad for anybody who gets their equipment replaced under warranty, but it seems like a pretty silly way to address a minor machanical issue with an otherwise functional device.

Here's what I did to fix the problem with my out-of-warranty C4780:

Find a thin, rigid tool that is longer than the distance from the left edge of the tray extender to the left edge of the paper tray. (I used a bread knife ... not very safe.)

The tool needs to be long enough to reach the edge of the extender inside the paper tray.

Insert the tool into the gap in the paper tray (where the extender goes when it is closed) as close to the body of the printer as possible.

Gently press on the edge of the extender that is inside the paper tray.

The extender should give slightly. It's now loose. Remove the tool and close the extender.

HP Recommended

That worked for me, simply taking a clothes hanger and pressing on something inside just under the swing arm, something that seems like it should have some sort of button/trigger/release. Seems like perhaps somewhere in the design a lock of sorts was supposed to slide into place on the arm, but the release was never put in, odd. I'm suprised there aren't  more folks having issues with this.

HP Recommended

Used my tray extender  for the first time tonite its stuck too. There's got to be a problem with this set up.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.