cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DrRonski
Level 3
21 19 0 17
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Photosmart C4780 Firmware Update Fail

HP Recommended
Photosmart C4780
Microsoft Windows XP

I have downloaded the firmware update "C4700_FWUpdate_4362_HPCOM_v1" but every time I try to install it the wizard says my printer is not connected.  In fact it is connected by wireless and USB cable.  I can print to it, the Print and Scan Doctor sees it and verifies it is OK.  The HP Digital Imaging Monitor reports it is OK.

The printer is running its original software and functions OK, except for the occasional poor response to control panel inputs which this firmware update addresses.

My Device Manager shows all appropriate drivers OK and my Control Panel shows the printer OK.

Any thoughts, please? 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
sabretooth04
Level 14
21,074 20,455 1,540 3,519
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Turn off the wireless radio and connect via USB cable only. Verify you can print and then try your firmware update.
0 Kudos
DrRonski
Author
Level 3
21 19 0 17
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the input.

Now, do I have to turn off my router or is there a way to just turn off the radio in the printer?

0 Kudos
sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I would turn off the radio in the printer to be sure. Then use the computer and USB.
0 Kudos
DrRonski
Author
Level 3
21 19 0 17
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, so I'm embarassed to ask...

How the heck do I turn off the radio in the printer?

I can't figure out how to do it through any software on my computer, unless I'm missing something basic...

Is there a way to do it on the printer itself?

Feeling so rookie here...

0 Kudos
sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Most likely through the front panel menu buttons. You'll have to look to find it.
0 Kudos
sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Or... like you said, turn off your router to disconnect the wireless. Now upgrade the firmware through the USB cable.
0 Kudos
DrRonski
Author
Level 3
21 19 0 17
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good news - I found the front panel wireless menu and turned of the radio.

The wireless icon went out.

Bad news - the printer went into an endless loop of the progress bar on the front panel, with periodic flash of the standard Scan, Copy, Print  display, then back to the progress bar loop.

I occasionaly hear the cartridge control carriage move a little, but nothing else.

I have pulled the power cord to do a hard restart with no luck.

I have pressed and held the power button and got it to power down with no effect.

Any thoughts????

0 Kudos
sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Still have the problem above? Looks like the printer went south...
0 Kudos
DrRonski
Author
Level 3
21 19 0 17
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, I've tried various reboot configurations and get sort of random responses in printer restart sequence.

Feels like it needs to have its BIOS re-flashed....

Any way to do that or re-install its programming?

Or am I seeing a hardware issue?

Would you try to fix it or recycle it?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation