cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
CallieGirl
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 1 of 28
Flag Post

HP Photosmart C5180 not printing magenta

HP Recommended

My HP Photosmart All-inOne C5180 will not print magenta, even when inserting a new cartridge. I have run the "Clean Print Head" several times but that color still will not print. I've also run the Ink Delivery System Information and the Print Quality Pattern. They both show that magenta is not printing. I understand that the print head cannot be removed to be cleaned. What can I do now?

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
stix4
Level 9
Level 9
1,520 1,523 53 337
Message 2 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your issue, of course first and foremost, ensure that your replacement cartridge is a genuine HP Magenta cartridge.  I've attached a link below that addresses this issue, some of the steps you have verified already.  Good luck!

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00707165

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

dqmcg
Level 5
Level 5
189 189 11 54
Message 3 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is some information from the HP web site...

HP All-in-One prints a print cartridge alignment page if a new print cartridge is installed.
When prompted, ensure plain white paper is loaded in the input tray, and then press OK .
The HP All-in-One prints a test page, aligns the print head, and calibrates the printer. Recycle or discard the page. A success or failure message appears.
 NOTE:  If colored paper is loaded in the input tray when aligning the print cartridges, the alignment will fail. Load unused plain white paper into the input tray, and then try the alignment again.If the alignment fails again, you might have a defective sensor or print cartridge. Contact HP Support at www.hp.com/support If prompted, choose your country/region, and then click Contact HP technical support.

Press OK to continue.

If an alignment page did not print then print one through the front panel. If this does not help then the printer most likely needs to be serviced.

Dave M.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
I am an HP employee.
CallieGirl
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 4 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. When I purchased the printer, I replaced all the cartridges with new ones. I only use new HP cartridges, no recycled ones. I see one item that I don't think I have tried...calibrate the color. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

0 Kudos
CallieGirl
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 5 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A print cartridge alignment page did print after installing the new cartridges. It indicated then that the magenta wasn't printing.

0 Kudos
CallieGirl
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 6 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have hooked up the printer to the computer in order to open the HP Solution Center in the Toolbox. Unfortunately, Calibrate the Color was not listed. I ran everything listed in the Toolbox, including the Extended Self Test Diagnostic Page. It shows that the ink supply for magenta remains at 100%. It still is not printing. Is this printer a lost cause or is there still hope in it printing correctly?

sherbap
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. Did you ever resolve your issue? thank you ,, Peter

0 Kudos
zippyhoss
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 8 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions.  I do not have the "Calibrate Color" tab...how can I get this?

victorss
3 3 0 1
Message 9 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I have a C5180, and when I use the instructions as above I cannot get the "Calibrate Color" tab.  I bought  a HP Photo Value pack which is all 6 Vivera inks, and its still causing a problem with the Magenta colour.  I am able to get it to print the light magenta but not the dark magenta.  I have tried 10 cleaning jobs, and I am now starting to see streaks of magenta next to the Blue box (first on left), and also some magenta on the middle blue box and the last yellow box. 

I know my printer is out of warranty, so I am going to open it and try and clean the printer head assembly with warm water on a cotton bud and see if it comes out better?  Its definately not a catridge problem as I tried another brand new Magenta colour (again HP original).

If it doesnt work after this im going to get rid of this printer and get a newer model which takes these same catridges.

0 Kudos
victorss
3 3 0 1
Message 10 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually I followed another post for a complete system reset.  Turned off the printer, then held down the OK & HELP buttons while i pulled out the power cable and then reinserted it (then let go of the held buttons), and then pressed the power on button on its own.  It didnt turn on initially, but pressing the power on button again worked.  

One thing to note, when I did Diagnostics page via HP solution centre, it came up with thisin the history LOG.  

85. HW Events , 1) 62004062, 2) 62004062

86. System Events: 1) 151 69552 1 0, 2) 150 69553 1 chute 4 contains expired ink, 3149 69553 1 chute 2contains expired ink, 4148 69553 1 chute 4 contains expired ink, 5147 69553 1 chute 2 contains expired ink

I think this is all because I did have expired in, and when i replaced it with brand new ones it didnt clear, so a master reset did the rtrick.

Then  I did an align printer task by HP solution Centre, and then a Extended Diagnostics page, and all the Magentas appeared as normal (with a little bit of striking - but after a few colour photo prints it was fine).

the HISTORY LOG was all clear:

85. HW Events: 1) 00000000, 2) 00000000

86. System Events:  1) 1 69556 1 0

horray!

p.s. I am a IT engineer for 6 years so dont feel bad if you were not able to figure it out, its not easy for everyone to troubleshoot.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation