cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
disneymom Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Photosmart C5180 not recognizing new ink

My HP Photosmart C5180 is not recognizing the new yellow ink cartridge.  I bought 2 and it won't recognize either.  Does anyone have any suggestions before I buy a new one???

Thanks!

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Boogietron Tutor
Tutor
9 9 0 2
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Try this...

-Disconnect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable from the back of the product, but leave the product turned on.    

-Open the cover of the product and remove the print cartridges. 

-Close the cover and wait for the Insert Ink Cartridges message to display. 

-Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product and the wall socket, then wait for one minute. 

- Reconnect the power cord. If the product does not automatically turn on, press the Power button. 

-Open the cover and reinsert the print cartridges. 

-Close the cover. If prompted, print a calibration page. 

-Print a Self Test to verify product is functional.

-Reconnect the USB cable, and try to print from the computer.

0 Kudos
BrendanG Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I followed all instructions exactly and there is no change. The message is to put in a yellow one or print black I tried two new ones from Office Max and tehy are original cartridges. What do I do now?
0 Kudos
Goldenrod Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I am having the same problem with the yellow cartridge.  I have tried two and both are not being accepted by the printer.  If anyone can help please do so.  I would think if HP read this they would help us along.  I tried and followed the directions that were listed about removing the ink cartridges and shutting down the computer and nothing works.

Every thing else on the printer works fine.  If I cannot get this to work I will probably have to purchase a new printer.  IT will not be a HP.

0 Kudos
mrcranky Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 2
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have the same printer and the same problem. The yellow cartridge came up empty. I replaced it with a new original HP cartridge. The printer claims the yellow cartridge is still empty. I thought I might have gotten a faulty cartridge so I bought another original HP yellow cartridge. I replaced it, it recognized it and said Original HP Cartridge Installed, then it whirred and clunked for a minute and said that the yellow ink is empty again.

This printer makes nice output, but the Mac drivers are crap, you can't scan over the network, and now I have this ink problem, for which there seems to be no solution on the forum. This will probably be my last HP printer unless a fix appears. 

0 Kudos
madye001 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I am having the same problem and I really need to print.  I have tried the fix listed above and I have tried 3 different yellow cartridges.  I am getting very frustrated.  Has anyone gotten theirs to work?

0 Kudos
technoless Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

This happened to me after 13 months with my first HP printer.  It was returned to the store where they contacted HP and could not repair it.  After much argument the store gave me a replacement 15 months ago and the same thing has now happened again.  The ink indicator shows the yellow is full but an error message says it is empty and the printer will cease to work if I do not replace it. (I know from past experience it will stop working soon.)

I do not want to spend money on taking this to a registered HP service person  if there is no hope of repair .  It cost £240. Next time I will buy a cheap one and can afford to throw it away when the ink needs replacing.  I hardly use a printer so it isd just not fair..

I see there are over 6 unresolved postings in the last 10 days with the same issues .  I will never buy HP again.

PS  I have done all of the things above.

0 Kudos
kanarie Top Student
Top Student
4 3 1 0
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I had the same problem with the black cartridge. But i just reinstalled the software and it works perfectly again. I hope this will help someone.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
technoless Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, in despair having tried everything else I reinstalled the software yesterday and it works Ok now.

Such a simple answer........why did someone not suggest earlier.

Anyway....I am very pleased......but not with ;official' HP

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
twoapples Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Instead of reinstalling the whole driver i downloaded the print diagnostic utility 3.0 and ran a test and printed a test sheet. The printer works fine now.

I think all of the suggestions on this post are great.

all the best!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation