Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart Plus B209a
Microsoft Windows XP

Purchased brand new ink cartridges for the printer.  Can not get Magenta to print at all.  Now the printer is saying that the Magenta is all used as are the other color cartridges.
I have aligned, cleaned, repeated, checked vent on top, check for other issues per troubleshooting instructions and nothing is working.
There is no way that the Magenta cartridge is empty as it has not print, not even once.
It is also highly unlikely the others are empty either as even though cleanining uses a lot of ink, surely it would not deplete a cartridge on under 10 trys!
What to do?  What to do?

Is there a way to reset this ink counter? or something to check what is going on?

Aligned, diagnostics ok except no magenta shows and on and on it goes.
Even set the ink preference to minimum to use the smallest amount possible during tech troubleshooting!
Do notice that the driver calls it a B209-m but that was the new drivers installed on both an XP and Win10 system.... so have tried to get this printer going on two sepearate operating systems with no luck.....
Printer has been sitting for a while but not in any other than office conditions, in other words not in cold, damp or hot area... No damage to printer like dropping or anything of this nature.
Would like to get it working as the ink package cost over $100!!!!!  A lot of money to waste.

Connected wireless and UsB software install with original cables.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello, @technogram - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for reaching out! I’d like to be of your assistance!

I see that you are facing issues with the Photosmart printer. It seems to be an issue with the cartridge that you are using. It’s possible that the magenta cartridge was defective. You have done all the necessary steps required to troubleshoot and fix the issue. 

I would suggest contacting the HP phone support to get further assistance. You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Need to know what the difference in the B209a print driver is..... shows as B209a-m  ... should just be B209a
Kind of thinking i have wrong driver?
What is the difference in the designation -m?
I am using an XP system and seems to me (but I could be mistaken) that the -m extention is for newer operating systems

HP Recommended

Hello, @technogram

There is no such difference between B209a & B209a-m. The drivers are also the same for both these printers.

Also, we are trying to clean the print head using the printer control panel. This is independent of the software installed on your PC and has nothing to do with the drivers. This goes same for making copies using the printer control panel.

If the issue persists while performing the cleaning and while copying, then that points to the printer hardware issues.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Well all the ink cartridges are showing as empty and this just can not be.  I have deleted and reinstalled the software (basic) and printing is just getting worse.
I manually cleaned the printhead.  But that did not change anything.

Is it possible to purchase a new printhead for this product?  If so how much, if not then I would think it is toast.
going to take the ink cartridges back to the retailer.  They are under warranty and should be working. 
Will try to get refund as $120 is too much money to just throw away!

HP Recommended

@technogram

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

It seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply... I did call and was informed that the issue is not hardware but faulty cartridges.  
Have contacted the retailer and will be returning for store credit as I do not wish to waste any more valuable time and money on this machine.

HP Recommended

@technogram

Thanks for the reply.

If the cartridge is in warranty.

HP Phone support agent will replace the cartridge for you.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Fully aware of that, retailer offered same but I am not interested in playing with the issue.... this is not the first time this has happened with this particular machine and was told that HP does not even support it anymore so.... going for the store credit and let the retailer deal with the warranty issue with HP... yes it is still under warranty as this has all taken place over the last week and warranty good till next year!
$120 for defective cartridges is ridiculous!   

HP Recommended

@technogram

I understand the situation.

Yes If the retailer call HP this cartridge will be replaced.

Feel free to contact us in feature if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.