Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 2620
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

HP 2620 All-In-One will not scan.  Tried to enlist the help of HP Scan and Print Dr. to disgnose the problem but every time I run the program it gets stuck on  the scanning portion of the check.  When I click on the button for MORE INFO I see that the scan has gotten to the portion that says Windows (WIA) scan.  I have tried to deal with this issue but to no avail.  

Please help.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi @630Deidre, thanks for reaching out, I'd be happy to help! 

I would like to help you with the WIA scan error you are experiencing.  Please first post back with the answers to these few questions.

1. Is the printer connected wirelessly or with a USB cable?
  2. Is the printer connected directly to a wall outlet or a surge protector? (It is best to connect directly to the wall)
  3. Do  you have any other HP Printers installed on this computer? If so, do you still have the printers?
  4. Is this an HP computer or a different brand?
  5. Have you been able to scan with this printer previously?

In the mean time, WIA is Windows Image Acquisition, it is a proprietary Microsoft driver model and application programming interface (API) for Microsoft Windows Me and later Windows operating systems that enables graphics software to communicate with imaging hardware such as scanners, digital cameras and Digital Video-equipment. - Source

Please follow the instructions below.

• Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
  • Type services.msc and press Enter
  • Locate Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
  • Right click and open Properties
  • Stop the service from the General tab and then Start it again
  • Verify that the Startup type is set to Automatic rather then manual

Also, look for 'Shell Hardware Detection' in the list of services. If it is not enabled/started, make sure to enable/start the service, and make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically from its properties.

Locate the 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC)' in the list of services. If it is not enabled/started, make sure to enable/start the service, and make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically as well.

Please try scanning again. If you continue to have any issue, post back with the answers to the questions above and I will gladly follow up. Please also run the Print and Scan Doctor again if you still can not scan, and let me know if it stops at the same spot.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Hello,
I've done just that, however when I try to stop WIA from panel, it gives me this message, "Windows could not stop the WIA service on Local Computer" - "Error- 1061 The service cannot accept control messages at this time"....
Please help!!! I bought this product because I really need the scanner. It's hooked up by USB...and copier works just fine.
HELP!!!!
HP Recommended

My computer does the same. Worked fine until the other day. Need some answers please

HP Recommended
Hello,
To also answer your questions:
No, I don't have it hooked up elsewhere.
It is USB cable connected.
It's hooked to wall.
It's an HP (3 months old)
It was able to scan before with no issues.

Help!!
HP Recommended

I have the same problem as the others here including the error:

Windows could not stop the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service on Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

If have an Officeject 8600, wireless, Windows 7 Home Premium, and yes the scanner used to work.

HP Recommended

Did you ever get this problem solved?

HP Recommended

I have the same issue:

HP2310 - Connected via USB

All 3 Services - RPS/ Windows Shell / WIA - all 3 are running.

Windows 10.

Dell Vostro

Have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers/HP Program. Still get the same error. Scan - HP2310 series was noot found.

When I run the doctor it gets stuck at the WIA stage.

It used to work earlier.

TIA

HP Recommended

Hey @Mortzart

Please open the following link and run the Solution and Update Finder: HP PSC 2310 All-in-One PrinterNote: This tool detects HP Printers and PCs running Windows 7, 8 and 10

@jscaldwell07, do you still need a hand with your 8600? You  might benifit from the following Microsoft article: FIX: You receive an "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a ti....

I hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I am also experiencing the same trouble scanning with my 8620 Officejet Pro.  I have followed every procedure recommended on your forums and still it says the printer in not found on my computer. As well, when I perform the Scan Doctor it freezes on the WIA - again, I have done everything listed but to no avail and when I try going intostop the WIA process the error message is ERROR 1061: The service cannot accept control messages at this time.  It was working just fine for just over a year and now not so much!  SOOOOOO FRUSTRATED

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.