cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
The-Riddler
4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Printer - horizontal lines

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Photosmart 5520e printer has started to print 2mm lighter (not white) horizontal lines every 1.5cms, particularly noticeable in blocks of colour; (e.g. lighter yellow in yellow block). I have used HP's Printer Doctor, aligned print heads & cleaned print heads using the printer's screen and a lap top using 'HP Printer Assistant' wired to the lap top (after each of which the print outs show the problem continuing), manually checked the HP original cartridges are clean, and the printer states that the cartridges have plenty of ink left.  I have swapped cartridges with another printer which prints fine. Those also do not solve the problem in this printer. I have been on HP's help sites, all to no avail. The problem is less obvious when using the high quality print option, rather than normal quality.  It is particularly noticeable in yellow, getting less pronounced as the base colours get darker through Magenta, Cyan and Black when running the Print Quality Diagnostic. The lines show when printing and when copying. I am not aware of any changes made to the printer.  The only other recent changes were a first time connection from an Apple MacBook Pro although printing was fine for a few days afterwards.  Prior to that the Printer had fed off a lap top with Windows 7. I am currently using another lap top with Windows 10. Since I am also running some print commands directly from the printer (e.g. cleaning including print reports) I doubt it is to do with the lap top set ups. The printer has a wired connection. Does anyone know of any other quick fix ideas short of perhaps changing print heads or more likely at the price the whole printer? Thank you and apologies for the long note.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Drakster
Retired
Retired
4,038 3,773 306 607
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @The-Riddler,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're experiencing print quality issues with your HP Photosmart 5520 Printer. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I understand the frustration that you're experiencing. First, we need to determine if you're having a hardware or software issue. I believe the printhead could be clogged, please follow the steps below to help determine the cause.

I would try the steps within this guide:  

If the test page prints without defects, there could be problems with the type of paper you're using or print settings on the computer.

If the test page shows defects, continue on.

Is the printer within the warranty period? If so, I suggest you contact HP. I have included contact information below.

If the printer is not within the warranty period, you could always try a manual printhead cleaning as shown in video below. Please use at your own discretion.

NOTE: HP Photosmart 5520 does not have a customer removable printhead. However, this video shows how to clean and remove the printhead on the 5510 (which is similar).

Video: HP 5510 won't print black and colors - printhead removal and cleaning.

If you completed all the preceding steps and your product still has an issue, service the product.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
First, go to Check your product warranty to check your printer warranty status, and then go to Contact HP Support to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair.
Repair fees might apply for out-of-warranty printers.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
The-Riddler
Author
4 2 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Drakster

Sorry it has taken a while to reply.  I hope to deal with this next weekend and will keep you informed regarding outcome.  Thank you

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation