cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Murphys_Law5 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 1 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Solution Center cannot scan, scan preview not working either, extended error code 4,[(3,42,0)] ?

HP Elitebook 8460p, running Win 7 (64) Enterprise.

All-in-one, HP Officejet 5610  (no initials).

5610 works correctly, it can scan via buttons, copy via buttons, can be used as printer with no issues.

HP Solution Center see the 5610, can read ink levels, seems to work ok for everthing BUT scanning.

HP Soltuon Center begins scan, prompts for defaults, once all hae been selected, it proceeds, the 5610 seems to be scanning (I can hear it moving scanner) but the software does not respond.

The scan preview window appears but is a smaller rectangle and cannot be resived or even selected, no menu drop downs seems to work.

After 30 seconds or so, the error message appears, yellow triangle with "!" in it...

reads...

An error occured in the scanning software.  Try the following steps.  After each step try scanning again....then restart, reboot, reinstall....tried it all, same error.

Foun the HP Printer and Scanner Dr utility, ran it, it indicated I needed an update, installed the update, reran "Dr." it said all was well (passed all test), test scan resulted in same error.

I never had this under Win XP but I have never been able to get it to work under Win 7 on this machine.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
alt33 Top Student
Top Student
7 3 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Solution Center cannot scan, scan preview not working either, extended error code 4,[(3,42,0)] ?

I am having the exact same problem all the way from what you start describing through to the test scan in the printer and scan doctor utility.  The only difference is that I am using Windows 8, 64-bit OS.

If you have a solution, please share it.

Anita

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,420 17,221 898 2,526
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi alt33,

I would like to help determine and resolve the issue you are expressing. I'd like to see if restarting the Shell Hardware detection makes a difference. Please use the following thread to stop and start the following 3 services,

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Shell Hardware Detection

Windows Image Acquisition

Restarting services

This may or may not resolve the issue, but its a great place to start.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
alt33 Top Student
Top Student
7 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

I have to confess I am a little nervous about stopping these services.  Can you share more information regarding your recommendation?  I am still unable to use the HP Solution Center software even though the program is listed in the Control Panel's listing of installed programs.  

alt33

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,420 17,221 898 2,526
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi alt33,

I understand your hesitation. Here is some information I looked up to best describe what these services are for.

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA; sometimes also called Windows Imaging Architecture) is a proprietary Microsoft driver model and application programming interface (API) for Microsoft Windows Me and later Windows operating systems that enables graphics software to communicate with imaging hardware such as scanners, digital cameras and Digital Video-equipment. It was first introduced in 2000 as part of Windows Me, and continues to be the standard imaging device and API model through successive Windows versions. It is implemented as an on-demand service in Windows XP and later Windows operating systems

Resource: Wikipedia

The Shell Hardware Detection service runs as LocalSystem in a shared process. It shares an executable file with other services. If the Shell Hardware Detection fails to load or initialize, Windows 7 start up proceeds. No warning is displayed, but the error is recorded into the Event Log.

Dependencies

Shell Hardware Detection will not start, if the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is stopped or disabled.

If the Shell Hardware Detection is stopped, the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) fails to start and initialize

Source: batcmd.com

To summarize, these services are necessary for scanning. If you did not take the leap of faith please do so. This will cause no damage, worse case it will not resolve the issue and we can move forward to the next step.

It might be a good idea to test the computers ability to scan as well. Try using one of the following methods to scan. If neither work than the issue is related to the computer and if they do work then the issue is isolated to our software.

Windows Fax and Scan Instructions

1. Place the item that you want to scan on the scanner glass, or load it into the automatic document feeder (ADF) if your printer has one.
  2. Right-click the Start button (  ) in the lower left corner of the screen, click  Search  , and then type Fax and Scan.
  3. Click  Windows Fax and Scan  in the results.
  4. Click  New Scan, and then click Scan .
How to scan with Paint

1. Place the item that you want to scan on the scanner glass, or load it into the automatic document feeder (ADF) if your printer has one.
  2. Right-click the Start button (  ) in the lower left corner of the screen, click  Search, and then type  Paint.
  3. Click   Paint  in the results.
  4. Click   File, and then click  From scanner or camera.
  5. Select your printer, click OK, and then click  Scan.

Keep me posted.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Murphys_Law5 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 1 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Actually, I had fogotten I had logged this issue (from Sept last year).

I retested the scan feature and it seems to be working correctly.  I made no changes but that does not mean I did not get updates that may have resolved the issue.

The Solution Center still does not display ink levels however by going to the Printer Toolkit, the ink level estimates are displayed (workable solution).

Please consider this issue resolved for me.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation