cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
25 21 1 2
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Solution Center device installation not complete

I have a PhotoSmart C7280 all-in-one printer running as an Ethernet networked printer.  My personal PC is an HP Pavilion Slimline s5280t running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  I've had the printer for longer than I've had the Pavilion.  I use HP Solution Center at least once a month to copy documents to PDF for a volunteer job I have.  Yesterday I tried to use it, and got the "device installation not complete" error.  Uninstalling and reinstalling HP Solution Center didn't work.  I did some research on the forums, and found the discussion of "the folders that start with 7Z."  

I ran the Uninstall_L3.bat  last night. It uninstalled everything.  I then downloaded the drivers from the HP site, again. When I ran the install, it failed because "a file is missing."  It didn't say what file.  It created a "solution" for me, basically of going through all the steps to make sure that the printer and router were working (they are) and the printer was on the network (it is).  I then downloaded the drivers AGAIN and AGAIN got a "file missing" error on the install.  And my printer has been uninstalled.  And I have a NEW suggestion from HP that I should reinstall after turning off all my startup tasks and rebooting.

If the driver package for the C7280 is defective, and right now I'd bet money that it is, telling me to turn off my startup list, which hasn't changed in months, is not going to help.  Because my printer is out of warranty (hey, my PC is out of warranty), I don't expect any help from HP.  I'm hoping that some other user will be able to suggest something that will work. I'm about ready to go back to the CD that came with the printer and install from that.  Help?

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3397 3341 104 615
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Sorry you have had such a difficult time getting Solution Center to work.  You have certainly done all the basic and advanced steps to get this to work.  I always keep a forum post stored on my computer that takes troubleshooting Solution Center to a different level of advanced.  

--Problems Installing HP Solution Center - SOLUTION FOUND!--

I recommend reading this post thoroughly to review the comments and see how the steps play out and how certain problems are exposed.  It certainly discusses the missing files you referenced.

I usually just scan using Paint or Windows Fax and Scan once I can print as it is just a little easier than working in the registry of an HP computer.  So please do be careful if you choose to go into the registry.  

First thing's first, I recommend creating another User Account in the Control panel with admin rights, then running the installation disk in the second user account before attempting anything in the above forum post.  This will eliminate any conflicts from previous attempts on the main User Account.

I really hope this works for you!  Let me know of any error messages you may get during the installation with the disk.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Intern
Intern
25 21 1 2
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

VisionAiry - I appreciate the time you took to post this solution.  I'm still deciding whether to work through this absolutely ridiculous process or simply go out and buy a new all-in-one printer - NOT from HP.

Whatever my problem is, it isn't because I don't have .NET 4 installed.  I DO have .NET 4 installed and had at the time this happened.

After I called HP about a dead power supply on my brand new Pavilion desktop, and the yokel on the phone tried to talk ME through taking the computer apart, including unhooking the motherboard, while he was talking to me, because he didn't believe what I was telling him, I am extremely unlikely to call HP support for anything.  I had to pay them several hundred dollars (not $37) to get a tech to come out to my house and replace the power supply. 

Paint and Windows Fax won't work for me because they don't give me the level of control, specifically over the SIZE of the PDF, that HP Solution Center does.  I'll need to find a solution that does that.  I need a working scanner, I use mine regularly.

None of this is your fault and again, I appreciate the suggestion and may try it.  But HP?  Not in my future anymore.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3397 3341 104 615
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Trust me, I completely understand.  Here, try my suggestion for installing the printer's software on a second User Account (see previous post).  It is a tad bit easier and I really hope it just miraculously works.  I wish I could just take over the computer to work out the problems you are having with the program.

Besides, whatever brand you do choose to go with, I wish you the best of luck. May it bring you years of successful printing (and scanning).  Since all I know is HP printers, I couldn't possibly make a good suggestion for a printer otherwise, without it sounding biased.  

You certainly have been through a lot trying to get this thing to scan with full functionality so let me know if I can be of any more assistance and I will happily do what I can to help.  

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 21 1 2
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Well, I tried to work through the recommended solution. 

First, doing the install in another user is no good.  It didn't work either.

I did check .NET and discovered that I was backleveled - I had Framework 4 and the latest version is 4.5.  After installing that, and running the seven Windows updates, I tried the rest of the script.

Couldn't run step 4, there was no bpd_scan folder and no bpd_scan_carrier executable.

Ran scan.msi, no apparent effect.

I could now run the install software without getting the "missing disk" message in the first few minutes. Until now I had never got far enough into the process to see  the license and EULA page; and the only time I did see it, when I clicked on the "select files" link I got a blank window.  I tried to install only the drivers; but I got confused among the windows and unintentionally ran an install for everything, including things I don't want on my system like Photosmart Essentials.  This said that it installed HP Solution Center; but during the install of HP Customer Participation (about which I don't give a rat's patoot) the installer hung and I had to kill it.  After which I still can't bring up HP Solution Center.  So I now have to start all over and run the uninstaller.

Apart from still being annoyed about this crummy software, I am appalled that the installer should have such a strong dependency on .NET 4.5 which is not mentioned anywhere on the System Requirements page!  I know it isn't because I LOOKED at that page and it was blank.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3397 3341 104 615
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I wish I could explain how much I agree with you on everything you just said but what it sounds like to me is you need to clean up the registry.  Since this is an HP computer, what may be happening is, that due to a corrupt registry file, you may be having problems getting anything HP to install.  It's pulling in but in the end when the files are trying to tie together, it is failing (seen a clean install of the OS fix this but I won't go there just yet).

Do you have a preferred registry cleaning software?  I know a lot of experts here really like Advanced System Care.  I like CCleaner because you can do a system backup within the tool.  With this being an HP computer, I am not too comfortable giving instructions on cleaning specific registry keys if one has never done so before.  Remember with 3rd party software, user discretion is advised and I'm not responsible for damages.  --System Backup and Restore-- 

If you customize the installation and that fails (assuming you are already trying that before I send my response now), I have some strange luck using HP Install Wizard in these kinds of instances.  It is a different executable for installing the printer.  

I had this software patch work just today: --Solution Center Update--

I hope I have given what you need to get setup.  Oh, don't forget to disable startup services just in case.  

Let me know what happens this time.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 21 1 2
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I think I now have everything fixed, but let me give you the background.

First, I regularly use CCleaner, and in fact I used it a couple of weeks ago to clean up the Registry - before all this started.  I don't believe the startup services ever had anything to do with it; I didn't disable them this round.

Today after starting my system I began systematically to go through the solution you linked, although I skipped the .NET update because I did that yesterday.  When I first ran the installer, I carefully unchecked everything except the drivers, and clicked OK, and then accepted the conditions - and the unmentionable installer proceeded to install everything, despite what I told it to do.  I forgive it, because it ran a clean install.  HP Solution Center is reinstalled and working, and incredibly it has saved all my custom configurations.  I appreciate the link to the Solution Center update but after this I am not going to touch it.

Frankly, I blame the whole mess on the undocumented dependency on .NET 4.5.  I hope someone in HP will take a moment to put that on the System Requirements page for the driver installer, to save someone less skilled at troubleshooting than I am the mess I've just been through.

Now I just have to clean up my startup files and I think I can get some actual work done.  Thank you again for your patience and your recommendations.

hedera

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3397 3341 104 615
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

No thank you for your diligence and patience.  It is very much appreciated.  Also thank you for sharing with me how you were able to get the printer to do a clean install this time.  I am very happy to hear this worked for you! 😄 Let me know if I can be of any more assistance as I am always happy to help.

Happy Printing!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 21 1 2
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'm sorry to have to report that the problem has recurred.  After not using the scanner for several days I tried to bring up HP Solution Center today and got the "device installation not complete" error again.

I've had it.  This is it for that printer, and for HP.  I'm going to order a Brother color laserjet.  I refuse to waste any more time on this crippled software.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3397 3341 104 615
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello hedera,

I just want you to know I do understand and I wish you the best of luck in whichever brand you do choose to go with.  May it bring you many years of successful prints and scan.  

Thank you for working with me.  I am always happy to help.

Cass

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation