cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ddpaul
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 41 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried everything that anyone has suggested.  I have reinstalled, I have downloaded updates and patches, I have done everything I can find and/or think of and all for nothing.  I still can not SCAN TO nor save a scan.

I guess I'll just give up.

Every suggestion I get from HP is so convoluted and difficult I can never find the solution.  I need something simple that even I can follow.

pam_perfect1
2 2 0 0
Message 42 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found that I could not scan to my computer but I was able to scan to a pen drive on the front of the printer.  Right now, I am keeping a pen drive in the printer and then once a month I can transfer them to my computer.  A bit of a pain, but at least it does not slow down my work.  You can try and see if your printer will work that way.

0 Kudos
Rich36
3 2 0 0
Message 43 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I said in my posting, I have a Mac with El Capitan.  This fix is for Windows.

0 Kudos
westom
Level 3
33 32 1 1
Message 44 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let me try to summarized what I have read - in combination with what I believe I am also suffering from..

HP Soution software periodically removes all files from the  Scan To ... menu.  (To some HP Printer/ Scanners, a message appears that says the printer needs software installed.)  These missing "Scan to ... " files means the scanner will  not transfer files to the computer via HP Solutions.

Go to HP Solutions  (in both Vista and Windws 7 systems).  To to Scanner  Settings, then "Scan to ...".    

Move all files to the right - to a box that enables a scan to that file type.

Click OK and close that Window.  Then Scans, initiated by the Printer/Scanner and initiated by HP Solutions, work.

Suddenly (ie after changing accounts or after rebooting the system) all those enable scan files disappear.  Go back to HP Soutions to discover all those enabled 'scan file types' have been removed (by what?  I do not know).  In that HP Solutions (Scan to ...) page, press Default.  All those files are enabled again.  Press OK.  Then scanner works.  Until the User Logs off or the System reboots.  Then all file types are disabled again.

As I read it, an HP file  hpqxmlul.dll  Version 13 is defective.  That file must be removed.  Then a new version is loaded from the CD (which for me was only for obsolete XP OSes).  Since I cannot extract this file from a version downloaded from HP (for my current OSes), then I should deleted all files  labeled  hpqxmlul.dll.  Then reload the HP Solutions driver that is unique for that OS.  Correct?

Did I get this right?  Is the above problem due to a defective hpqxmlul.dll  Version 13?  Or is a defective version intended for an older OS the reason for this problem?  Does the loader for HP Solutions not recognize the existing hpqxmlul.dll files is obsolete or defective ?  And therefore not replace that defective / obsolete file?

And finally does hpqxmlul.dll cause file types to be removed from a "Scan to ..." list of file types?  For me, that 'removed from enabled scan file types'  is why scans have failed here and on other systems.  Is that file the only reason why so many HP Scanners have not worked - keep emptying a 'permitted Scan to ...' box?

BTW, all questions are not rhetorical.  Every sentence with a question mark is a question that requests an answer.

0 Kudos
westom
Level 3
33 32 1 1
Message 45 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is an HP Officejet 7410 with HP Solution Center loaded on multiple Vista, Windows 7 and other computers.  When first loaded, pressing the Scan to button on that All-in-One printer (then select computer) lists all those computers.  Eventually those computers disappear from the list.  Eventually the message "You need to install or run HP Software for this function".

Obviously that software is on all machines.  I have done days of searching for a solution to this problem.  Most (including HP support people) want to fix *.dll files or fix the symptoms.  This is the problem.

HP Solution Center defaults to most all file (scan) types in the '"Front Panel Destination List Setup" listed as enabled.  This is the default setting.  Eventually the HP software moves every file type from the right side enabled box to the left side disabled box.  This occurs with both (what I believe is called Ver 12 and Ver 13 software.  The should be a radio button that says to HP solftware to stop making deciions and listen only to me.  There is not.

So when/why does this happen?  If the computer is opened with more than one User account enabled and if the Scan To function (button on the scanner) is pressed, apparently the HP software moves all those files in the Front Panel Destination List from enabled to disabled - for other user accounts.

Once this user account logs off, then the All-In-One printer outpus the bogus and misleading  "You need to install or run HP Software..." message.

Why?  I suspect someone at HP never bothered to think this through.  So that the scanner only goes to the currently viewed user account, it trashes the   Scanner Setup>Scan to....  setting for other users.  Then the only enabled scan is to that one user's account.  And all other users are left scratching their heads.  Confusion is made even worse by the bogus "You need to install or rund HP Software...  message on the printer's LCD.

Again, this problem has apparently festered for maybe six years.  All HP solutions have only gone so far as to temporarily restore all file types to the right side (enabled) box on the "Front Panel Distribution List Setup".  Then using other accounts simply trashes that setup again - creating the bogus printer LCD message.

Now, does the program  HPQDirec.exe file (that loads HP Solution Center) have any options I can use to restore the default setting in "Front Panel Distribution List Setup" every time that user logs on?  Or should I just tell all users not to use HP printer scanners - to stop so many angry users?  And yes, they have now become angry.  Some at me and some at the HP product.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation