cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Update installations failed

HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909a
Windows 7

Hi,

I am using HP Update to download needed critical updates for my printer. But recently, my sys admin at work placed restricitions on how programmes can be run on our systems. I need to locate the actual exe file downloaded, right click on it and install it using a specific protocol - it won't work through the HP Update window.

How can I find the downloaded update files? If I can find them, I can then install them manually.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 3
Level 3
45 45 5 9
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Astroboy1970,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

In additional to updates being posted via HP Update, nearly all updates are also posted on HP.com for downloading. I recommend obtaining the files directly to HP.com. To access the HP Software downloads, go to HP.com. From the top navigation bar, select Support, select Download drivers, enter the product name and select the updated driver.

Regards,

Steve_S_HP

p.s. I attempted to find the HP Update temp directory but unfortunately I just not familiar with where the files are stored and thought that you would benefit from the direct download route.  I hope the above information is helpful.

Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this helped to solve the Question or Problem. Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your guidance. Unfortunately, this is not a driver (I agree, HP has made it very easy to get those directly!), but other updates.  There are four files that are trying to install - they are:

HP Update Software Utility

Windows 7 Critical Update to enhance reliability of network connection

Critical Update to correct a PC to Printer Communication Issue

HP Printer Diagnostic Tools

I am able to successfully download the files, but I can't find them by their given names, which tells me they must have a different name. If I could find them in their directory, I'm confident I could install from there.

Thanks again - any help is appreciated! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
Level 3
45 45 5 9
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Astroboy,

I just did some follow-up and I believe that I may have located the temp directory where the HP Update Files are stored.

Please try these steps to confirm whether this is the correct directory on your system.

1. From the Windows 7 Start menu (lower left), in the Search box type:     %temp%

- This step should open a window to the temp directory for the current user.

2. From this directory, double click on a folder named “HpUpdate”.

- This should show all the files downloaded by HP Update.

Please try these steps and let me know if you’re able to see the HP Update files.

Regards,

Steve_S_HP

Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this helped to solve the Question or Problem. Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Steve,

Fantastic! I just tried it, and it worked! Even better, one of the updates was an update to the HP utility itself, and when I tried one more time to download (so I could monitor the files changing time stamps), there is a new message in the app that states: "We notice you had a problem with an update. Click here for an option to manually download and install". That  took me to a page where I was able to see the file names and download each update to confirm installation.

Thank you very much for your help!!

a

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation