cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
27 17 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Utility no longer works after last software update

Office Jet Pro Hp 8620e
Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

6/20/15

Apple update for hp was installed 6/19/15, since then HP Utility cannot find the printer.

The HP 8620 is in the list in the Utility application but Utility app cannot connect to it.

After a search for how to uninstall the HP software I found that:

I have HP folders in Applications AND in the Macintosh HD Library.

Is that normal?

OR...

Does that mean I have too many places with HP software? Should there be either one or the other?

Will uninstalling and re-installing the software from an HP download bring back the use of the HP Utility app?

What to do now?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Retired
4,869 4,127 319 689
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @skiziks,

I understand that since running an Apple Update on your computer, the HP Utility on your Mac OS X 10.8 for your HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer is no longer recognizing your printer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. We will be removing the HP Software and Drivers from your Mac to correct this issue. I will also be having you perform some standard Mac troubleshooting steps to ensure that your product will function properly once troubleshooting is complete.

Step 1: Reset the Print System:

To start, I am going to have you Reset the Print System on your Mac as it is important that we have a nice clean slate to work with for troubleshooting. Please click here for instructions on how to perform the Reset. When the website opens follow the steps under 'Resetting the printing system in OS X Lion.' This Reset will remove every printer from your Mac. However, it does not uninstall the printers. Therefore, should you use other printers on this Mac, once the Reset is complete simply ensure that the printers are connected via a USB Cable or Network connected and (+) Add them back in. Do not add your HP Officejet back in at this time.

Once the reset is complete, please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Uninstall Drivers and Software:

Next, please click here for steps on how to properly uninstall your printer. Once the site opens select the dropdown for 'Mac OS X v10.6, OS X v10.7, OS X v10.8, and OS X v10.9' and follow the appropriate steps to complete the uninstall process.

Once the uninstall is complete, please continue on.

Step 3: Verify and Repair your Disk Permissions on the Mac:

1. Open Macintosh HD and go to Applications
  2. Go to the Utilities Folder
  3. Open the Disk Utility
  4. Select the Hard Drive volume you are using (usually on the left)
  5. Select Verify Disk Permissions
  6. Once that process is done, select Repair Disk Permissions

Step 4: Check for Apple Updates:

1. Go to Apple
  2. Select System Preferences
  3. Select Software Update
  4. Click Update Now
  5. Install your available updates
  6. Restart your computer

Step 5: Install Device:

Please click here to download the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen instructions to install your HP Officejet.

Once the installation is complete your HP Utility should connect to your printer without issues.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
27 17 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After almost an hour of following these instructions things are even worse now than before.

The Hewlett-Packard folder in Applications now has only the "HPDailySurprise.app" and the alias for "HP Utility.app"

Nothing else. Every other app is gone including the "Uninstaller app".

In the Macintosh HD folder under in the Printers folder there is a new hp folder and it has cups, Fax, Frameworks, hpio, PDes, Profiles, and Utilities.

Also inside the Printers folder in Macintosh HD is "IntstalledPrinters.plist.bak" and "InstalledPrinters.plist" which I do not know if they were there before the failed uninstall and reinstall attempt.

In the Users Library Preference folder there are only two hp files "com.hp.scanMobile3.plist" & "com.hp.printerutility.plist"

Oh Lord, this is a mess. 

The printer still prints,  but the scanner app is now gone, Image Capture doesn't work any more.

While following the instructions, updates from Apple was checked using Software Update. No updates were available.

System Preferences "Print and Share" located one printer, "HP Officejet Pro 8620 {4BA7DE}"

The "Show Printer Webpage" no longer works either.

No Devices are listed in the "HP Utility" for it to connect to. And it now has to be "Force Quit" to close it.

So, things are not kosher here any more. And it all started with the notification that there was an update for software.

Are there any more suggestions?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
27 17 0 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After installing a hp printer update HP Utility no longer functioned.

The advice received from this forum was to do a complete uninstall and re-install.

The uninstalling and re-installing procedure was quite lengthy but it was followed it closely.

The result is the Hewlett-Packard folder in Applications now has only 2 applications.

The HPDailySurprise.app and the HP Utility.app, there were several apps before the uninstall process.

The HP Utility.app is the most important one. It no longer can connect with the printer.

For a short time it did connect but could not retain the connection.

Every other app is gone from the Hewlett-Packard folder, including the Uninstaller.app.

The scan app is gone.

No scan app, nothing but these two apps that either don't work or aren't needed.

Apple Software Update did find an update today but it did not change anything.

My question is: How can the missing applications for the Hewlett-Packard folder be restored?

And how can the HP Utilities.app be fixed so it connects and stays connected to the printer?

Thankfully, I can still print with the 8620. System preferences finds the printer and it works.

It's the HP software that doesn't work and is still missing after the Apple Software Update

And downloading and installing HP-Officejet-Pro-8620_v12.32.0-2.dmg changed nothing.

The printer is connected to the iMac with a USB cable.

An ethernet cable runs from the printer to the router.

WIFI is turned on in the iMac.

The connections could be wrong but it doesn't explain why the Hewlett-Packard folder is missing so many apps.

And why the HP Utility.app doesn't connect to the printer.

If someone knows how to help me solve or reconnect the printer the advice would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously, the Uninstall.app can't be used again because it's gone.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
4,869 4,127 319 689
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @skiziks,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue. The steps provided were direct documents to instructions for uninstalling the HP Software and Driver package provided by HP. As long as all of those steps in the document for uninstalling were completed, than everything has been done correctly.

• During the reinstall process, did the software and driver package find your printer and complete successfully?

If the installation completed successfully, there is a chance that your Apple computer has loaded the generic Apple Airprint driver on your printer. To ensure that your printer is utilising the correct driver, please follow the steps below.

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Print & Scan, and then check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list.

3. Click the name of your printer, click the minus sign (), and then delete the printer. 

4. Click the plus sign (), click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer,

5. Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Ensure that the Officejet driver is selected and not the Apple Airprint driver.

Image: Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

6. Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Once your printer has been confirmed as installed with the correct driver, please try scanning again through the HP Utility.

Please let me know if these steps resolve your issue. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
27 17 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for responsing.

To answer your question: No, the Hewlett-Packard folder only contained the still non-functioning Utility app and the Daily Surprise app, which is never used, after downloading and installing HP-Officejet-Pro-8620_v12.32.0.dmg

I don't see either this Use or the Print Using box mentioned in the sentences below on my iMac.

"Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Ensure that the Officejet driver is selected and not the Apple Airprint driver."

I've see these boxes mentioned before while searching for a solution. They don't exist in the Print & Scan app on System Preferences on this late 2009 iMac.

The printer was added however, as was a scanner. 

Since the HP Utility still wasn't functioning after all the uninstalling and software downloading and the Scan app had been eliminated from the Hewlett-Packard folder in Applications  as a result of the uninstall procedure and was not reinstated after the software download not much could be accomplished.

So, the only solution remaining was to revert back to where everything was before accepting the update which caused all this confusion.

Using Time Machine, all the missing apps from the Hewlett-Packard folder and the Printer folder in Macintosh HD Library folder were restored. 

Since scanning has returned and the HP Utility app seems to be back to normal, future updates will not be downloaded. They cannot be trusted. Printing works from the iMac desktop, printing from the laptop and iPad have not been tested yet.

There is no excuse that all the neccessary software was not re-installed from the download in HP Support for the 8620.

Retired
Retired
4,869 4,127 319 689
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @skiziks,

Thanks again for getting back to me regarding this issue.

I'm happy to hear that you were able to resolve this software and driver conflict by utilising Time Machine on your computer to restore your system to before the Update was run.

Should you experience difficulties in the future with your HP Officejet, please do not hesitate to reach out for support in the HP Support Forums.

It has been a pleasure working with you. Enjoy the rest of your day! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation