Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP desktop 1000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After recent W10 update my HP Desltop 1000 stiil prints, but am receiving error message "unable to communicate with printer". Is this a driver issue?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@delkay

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there's an error message - "can't communicate with printer", although your printer prints,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you run the HP Print and scan doctor to identify the issue?

Did you check for any other HP Forum posts to help resolve your concern?

If you haven't, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran Print/Scan Doc before contacting HP forum. It determined that the printer was working properly. No indication of an out dated driver! I then ran a test print which printed fine, but was immediately followed by the error message "unable to communicate....". Following advice on the web, I switched usb ports on the chance that there was a usb 2/ usb 3 problem (all my ports are black on my HP Pavillion laptop). Still got the error message. There was a recent W10 update and my printer is old so maybe there is a problem there. Forum posts that were checked didn't apply as they were not getting any printing at all.

HP Recommended

@delkay

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I get the feeling that you've missed out on the link I had shared earlier,
Here's it is again:  Click here for the steps. (related forum post that resolved the issue for others).

That said, Please follow the below steps to attempt installing the drivers using the windows built-in drivers and let me know if this works: Click here

Have a good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, but the solution to "remove and re-install driver" is way beyond my capability. I find the error message annoying, but at least my printer still works. If I went ahead and tried to "remove" the driver (printer?), I'm sure that it would result in no printing at all.  These solutions may be fine for someone who knows there way around in the Windows forest, but I've been down that road before. Whatever happened to a simple "update driver" tab in the device manager? Thanks, but I'm quitting while I'm no further behind than I am.

HP Recommended

@delkay

Thank you for the update,

I understand camping in the windows forest isn't easy at times,

But it's fun when you get a hang of it.

That said, If reinstalling drivers from the HP website doesn't do the trick for you as it seems to have for a lot of others,

You can always make use of the windows built-in drivers as suggested in my last post and that will take care of things.

I really hope you would give this another chance as I'll be waiting to help.

Keep me posted 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.