Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 10 (29,496 Views)

HP laserjet 1018 - printer spooler stops all the time

I have a hp lasertjet 1018 and it has been working fine on my windows 7 computer and now, out of nowhere, it stopped working. I have tried everything I can, looked it up on google, but no help so far.

The printer spooler keeps stopping. I can start it up again and again, but when I try to print something it stops working. I've tried troubleshooting with microsofts automatic printer troubleshoot service and also the HP automatic troubleshoot program. They detect a problem with my printer spooler, they turn it on and say everyting is fixed but it doesn't work. Even now, when the printer spooler is on, I can not print anything. I don't get an error message, the documents stay in the waiting list with 'error - printing' message. I've tried uninstalling the printer and installing the latest version of the driver. Nothing works!

what to do?

0 Kudos
Student
Message 2 of 10 (29,371 Views)

Re: HP laserjet 1018 - printer spooler stops all the time

I have the same problem too.  It must be caused by some windows update if it happened to happened at the same time for you and me.  The problem is that our 1018 printer is rather told and windows 7 64 bit support for it is kind of an afterthought.

Teacher
Message 3 of 10 (29,266 Views)

Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".

Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic

Hope this helps you.

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
Student
Message 4 of 10 (29,065 Views)

Good morning. I have the same problem with a customer. It has 2 computers XP, SP3, 32 bits, each of which has an HP LaserJet 1018. Either you did not install automatic updates of Windows.

The printer works. But once a month, the Spooler service stops, after which it launches a print.

I solved by removing and then reinstalling the printer from device manager (research new hardware).

The problem is that the printer can not be eliminated if the deocumenti in the queue. Also every time you log on to the window of the printer, the spooler service stops.
Mine is a game of skill and speed in trying to delete the print queue before it is stopped the spooler service. After you delete the printer and I can reinstall it.

Student
Message 5 of 10 (25,535 Views)

I have the same problem and followed the instructions but it didn't fix the problem.

I've owned the printer for several years and have been using it with a Dell Windows 7 computer for more than a year without problems.  In April 2012 the printer stopped working (driver disappeared) but I downloaded a new driver and the printer worked again.  Then last week it happenned again and I've been trying any suggestions (including those above) I can to make the printer work but nothing's helped.

Can you suggest something else?

Thanks.

Student
Message 6 of 10 (25,424 Views)

I have exactly the same situation except that the fix does work for a bit and then stops. It's infuriating and I have also not been able to find a fix that fixes it.

Top Student
Message 7 of 10 (24,978 Views)

The Host-Based Printer sometimes has issues that kicks off the Print Spooler.  Disconnect your printer USB, or turn it off.  Then Restart the Print Spooler (Go to Start and right-click "Computer" and select "Manage".  Go down to and click on "Services and Applications" in the left column, click on "Services", then click on anything in the right window of Services and start to type "Print Spooler" and it will show up quickly, and select "Start" in the upper left of that part of the window).  Then you go to your Start and then Search, type in Print, and you will see the Print Management function at the top.  open it, go to "All Drivers" and find your printer driver listed.  Right click on that driver listing and follow "Set Driver Isolation" and then "Isolated".  Now it will stop it from happening all the time, but you might have to once in a while reinstall the printer/driver after some Windows Updates (just mess with it until it works again sometimes - I hate that, but it went from happening a few times a day to once every 3-4 months)

Student
Message 8 of 10 (24,742 Views)

I am having the same problem using a 1315xi printer.  My operating system is XP.  The Print Spooler shows start.  I cannot restart it using the instructions in your message.  If I go to start, there is no Computer with a Manage showing.  There is a My computer, but there is no "Manage".  How do I restart the print spooler?

Student
Message 9 of 10 (20,594 Views)

I've had the same problem with a HP LaserJet 1018  and Windows 7 x64, I followed mancy_techno's advice and now printing works flawlessly. Thanks a lot!

Student
Message 10 of 10 (6,391 Views)

First open Control panel - open administrative tools - services - print spooler - click on stop - when complete the step - click on shart - complete this action you have check printer perfornace ... ten print out... yours problem solve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation