cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
ted22 Tutor
Tutor
5 3 0 4
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP office jet 8610 , firmware update on 9/13/16 bricked my printer

office jet 8610
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Printer worked fine for 9 months then on 9/13 HP uploaded without my permission a firmware update that caused a message " damaged cartridge" for all my cartridges and then it refused to print.  I use it daily for work and now am in trouble. Others must have the same problem.  Is there a way to stop HP from  doing this to epople who have bought their equipment. Suit perhaps?

19 REPLIES 19
Provost
Provost
21074 20975 1537 3401
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Print cartridge issues with new firmware.

HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8615, 8620, 8625, 8630 Printer Errors

http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=5769

Tags (1)
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
8735 7958 282 645
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ted22

Can I ask which brand of cartridges are you using? Are they remanufactured or cloned?

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
0 Kudos
ted22 Tutor
Tutor
5 3 0 4
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

They were remanufactured from LD products

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
8735 7958 282 645
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ted22

Ok. Would you maybe be able to add a photo of one the inks to the post? (see icon above the text box with the image of a mountain). I'm just wondering if the chip on the cartridge is different. 

Regards next steps, you could return them to the place of purchase, or switch to original HP ink. If cost savings are a concern you could perhaps consider the Instant Ink program? (further details at www.hpinstantink.com )

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
ted22 Tutor
Tutor
5 3 0 4
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Better than that, I turned off automatic updates , so this can not happen again....Thanks. Ted

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
impreza251 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ted,

Did you figure out how to print? I am also having this same problem. I disabled the automatic update but from what I am reading they are saying to roll back the firmware if you can get your hands on it and so far I have had no luck.

Best Regards,

Sean

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
ted22 Tutor
Tutor
5 3 0 4
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, they sent me a new print head and setup cartridges and even that did not work....After 2 hours on the phone with tech support, they decided to send me a refurbed printer and I will be sending mine back.... I notice LD products has remanufactured HP cartridges with the new chip installed to fix the firmware "upgrade?", on the 12th  that bricked a lot of printers. At least you will not get bricked again once you have the newer chips and your old cartridges may be able to get rechipped - check with your supplier. 

Tags (2)
UNCjoy Tutor
Tutor
8 6 0 2
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same thing, same printer model.

HP must be selling too many printers so they pull this off. It's working for me, as I will not purchase more of yours.

Or perhaps you release a fix and stop keeping my machine as a hostage. This "customer care" will not make me buy your ridiculously priced ink.

I will make best to warn my friends to not get involved with your products and luckily other manufactures are available.

Goodbye.

0 Kudos
funkypunk Tutor
Tutor
7 7 0 3
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,  This is most liekly due to the fact that HP has a programmed a failure into the printer.  YOu may have received this as part of a recent firware update in the last year. If you are not useing HP ink catridges which are overpriced the printer is programmed to fail to print as of 9/13/16.  So are you using an off brand ink.  There probably is no issue with your printer or ink at all other than HP is not making a profit off of you and wants to leverage you into purchasing thier ink.  SOme pricinters which do not have a network connection have thes failure preprogrammed in from the factory. 

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/09/hp-is-blocking-unofficial-replacement-cartridges-for-its-inkjet...

I will be screen capturing all of these replies to I can document how many  times HP support deletes or removes these responses in order to hide the true nature of most of these issues.  

0 Kudos
Tags (1)

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation