Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am unable to scan from either my HP officejet pro 8600 printer or  my iMac, using OS Mavericks 10.9.1.  From computer, message in sequence are:  1) Waiting for scanner 2) no document loaded and 3) scanner failed to complete the scan (this after changing defaults to match type of feed and document.  I can print and copy fine.

From the printer, I receive the following messages:  Scan could not be completed due to one or more of the following:

1) Connection to computer is lost, 2) The scan application or computer is currently in use (Not that I can see) and 3) OCR application is not installed on the computer (have installed and re-installed driver several times, with help of HP customer support person).

I have spent 1-1/2 hours on the phone with an hp customer  support person trying to resolve the problem, based on the above results.  I have also read the solutions on this forum, none of which seemed to either apply or work.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi Trishan,

I know you have done a great deal of troubleshooting already and have invested more time than I am sure you would like to have, but I have a document for you to use. I have seen success from those who have used this document.

Communication Error between the Scanner and Your Computer in Mac

You will find, after opening the link, that the 10.9 is not listed; however, this document does apply to all of the Mac operating systems.

I hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you Sunshyn2005 (HP).  When I look on the left panel of the Network menu in System preferences, I don't see the AirPort option,  I assume this means I don't have Airport, which might be the problem.  In the meantime, I have found a workaround by scanning from my printer to a USB device, then saving the USB file as a PDF on my computer.  I will check into the AirPort solution and post a reply re the outcome.  Thanks, again.  Trishan

HP Recommended

I  too read the supposed fix and could not also find an AirPort item in the left pannel. What does that mean?

Frustrated at not being to scan on the printer!

HP Recommended

Has there been any further development on this? I too have the exact same problem with my HP Officejet Pro 8620. I even uninstalled it, downloaded the most recent drivers from the HP site, and re-installed it. It scanned correctly the first time (which it also did before), but now I am back to the same problem. In addition, I notice that the above link to the document that is supposed to help, "Communication Error between the Scanner and Your Computer in Mac," is a dead link.

HP Recommended

This still seems to be a problem.  Is a fix on the way?...

I have a new Macbook Pro running macOS 10.12.6.  I was able to install and connect to my existing HP 8620.  Printing seems to work OK.  When scanning from the document feeder - scan initiated from the Mac - I see the pages scan, then the sofware says "No Document Loaded".  Was a file created??  There is no indication that this worked.

HP Recommended

I think I was having this same problem, but it turned out to be user error. I'm using Image Capture to scan, and I have two HP printers, which this error was occuring. It turned out that I had not selected the Flatbed as (SCAN MODE), the source to scan from and instead was using the document feeder, which indeed had no document.  

So in your software scan settings make sure you have set the Scan Mode to Flatbed not document feeder or visa versa, depending on your situation.  Good luck. I'm back in business.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.