Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone, 

Recently purchased an HP OfficeJet 3831. I have 2 issues I hope someone can help me with:

1) I did not get a USB cable in the box, is this normal? It means I have to print everything wirelessly. All I received was an ethernet cable, ethernet adaptor and power cord. 

2) I use a MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I cannot seem to print anything wirelessly unless I send it as an email directly to the printer. Its strange because if I use HP Utility and print a test page it works fine. When I scan a document it sends it to my laptop fine. Its only if I try and print an email or a word document for example, the litttle printing window which opens is stuck on Printing Page 1... but then does not seem to progress or actually print anything. 

Hope someone can help! 

Thank you 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

A USB cable is not included in the box, a such need to be purchased sepearately.

See the printer specifications below, check the What's in the box section:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4aa6-5072eegb

Regarding teh Wireless connection press the WiFi icon on the printer screen, what is the shown IP address and network name?

Have you verified that both the Mac and the printer are connected to the same wireless network?

Can you access that IP address from your Mac via Safari?

If you can, open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners and press the plus sign to add a printer.

Can you see the Officejet 3380 listed as Bonjour kind?

If yes, add it and try printing.

If not, press the IP tab and select the HP Jetdirect socket proptocol, type the IP as the Address and click Add, then try printing using teh added queue.

If it works via IP but not via Bonjour it is likely due to a router issue or lack of Bonjour support by your router, for a such it will help knowing your router brand and model to better understand its capabilities...

Please let me know the outcome,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.