cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Officejetv40
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 1 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP officejet v40 C8413A

Hello,

I have an officejet v40 printer.  It refuses to either print or print properly.  It's not the printer cartridges either, since they're new.   I'll click print and in the printer jobs window I'll get 'error-printing'.  Sometimes it will print part of the page, and occasionally it prints properly.  Right now it doesn't print at all.   My computer is an HP Pavilion slimline, and the operating system is Windows 7.  (64-bit)  I've installed and uninstalled the printer several times, also downloading the drivers several times.  I"ve used the 'troubleshooter' and it can't find any problems.  I've downloaded the HP 'print and scan doctor', I think it's called, and according to it, my printer checks out okay.  I've used this printer for 10 years without any problems.  I previously used it with my old Gateway computer.  I bought my current computer a few months ago and the printer worked fine with my new computer.  A few weeks ago my computer crashed, seemingly from a virus.  I contacted HP support and the tech rep advised me to uninstall and re-install the Operating System, which I did.  The printer has not worked properly since.  I tend to think that there isn't anything wrong with the printer.  One thing I think that I should mention, is the fact that in the printer jobs window under 'Document Name'  next to 'Microsoft Word' (for a Word document), instead of the regular Word icon, there's a strange looking icon.  And if I try to print a PDF, instead of the Adobe icon, the same strange icon appears next to PDF. Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
Level 13
Level 13
12,148 11,471 966 2,918
Message 2 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP officejet v40 C8413A

Hi Officejetv40,

When you got the virus on the computer did you do a full system recovery on the computer or did you just use a antivirus program to attempt to remove the virus?

It sounds like you still are infected with a virus on the operating system.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Officejetv40
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 3 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP officejet v40 C8413A

I contacted hp support and he had me re-install the operating system.  The computer has been working fine.  It's only the printer that's having the problem.  It seems to check out okay, but every time I go to print something, I get 'error-printing'.

0 Kudos
Level 13
Level 13
12,148 11,471 966 2,918
Message 4 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP officejet v40 C8413A

Hi Officejetv40,

Please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor from the link below. Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Officejetv40
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 5 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP officejet v40 C8413A

I tried it.  It said that there are no problems with my printer.  When I went to print 'Test Page'.  I still got the same error message though.  I can't figure this out!

0 Kudos
Level 13
Level 13
12,148 11,471 966 2,918
Message 6 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP officejet v40 C8413A

Hi Officejetv40,

Have you tried a new USB cable or USB port on the computer?

I am an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Officejetv40
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 7 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP officejet v40 C8413A

Which port should I attempt to use?

0 Kudos
Level 13
Level 13
12,148 11,471 966 2,918
Message 8 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP officejet v40 C8413A

Hi Officejetv40,

I would use one that is not in use by another device, and also try using a new USB cable.

I am an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Officejetv40
Level 1
15 14 0 0
Message 9 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP officejet v40 C8413A

I need to emphasize that in the window of print jobs there's a strange icon.  For example, under 'document name', under normal conditions if I'm printing a Word doc the Microsoft Word icon appears before the name of the document.  Also under normal conditions if I'm printing a PDF document, the PDF icon appears preceding the name of the document.  Since this problem began, no matter what I print there's a strange icon before the document name.  It really isn't an icon of any specific type of document.  I don't what this means, but I think if I find out it could solve my printing problem.

0 Kudos
Level 13
Level 13
12,148 11,471 966 2,918
Message 10 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP officejet v40 C8413A

Hi Officejetv40,

What is the operating system on your computer?

Install this printer on a different computer, and let me know if you have the same issues?

I am an HP employee.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation