cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP printer on a shared XP machine , windows 7 can not connect to the printer.

HP Recommended

Hi

Our HP1320 USB is on a XP machine (Shared)

I can see the printer from the windows 7 pro workstation,  but it does not say the word "share"

all other workstations show the printer with the word "share" and can print.

When I try to connect to the printer, windows is asking me to install  a driver.

Thank You

fe

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 13
7,130 7,121 558 1,020
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Common issue. Here is what you need to do. Write down the name of the computer to which the printer is attached. Write down the share name of the printer on the computer to which it is attached. Now on the windows 7 computer go to add printer and use port lpt1 and do not autodetect. When you get to the makers page choose hp on the left and laserjet 1300 on the right. If the 1300 is not listed use the universal pcl5 driver and finish up. Now on the windows 7 computer go to devices and printers and right click on the icon for the printer you just loaded and scroll down to the FIRST properties and left click. Now click on ports and then add port. In the box that comes up type in the computer name and share name you wrote down before using the following syntax: \\computername\sharename where you substitute the actual names. Save and apply and you will not be able to print from the windows 7 computer to that 1320. Good Luck.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation