Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8715
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I have a genuine ink in my HP printer, its a relatively new printer i have just installed my 1 set of genuine inks from the starter inks they are 953XL. my printer crashed tonight and on rebooting, which had to be done unplugging the printer as it would not reset from the power button. no on reboot may magenta cartridge is saying HP protected cartridge installed and i cannot print anything. any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @tfxuk7, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you are getting HP protected cartridge error on your printer.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC or printer?

Please try the steps mentioned below.

HP Protected Cartridge allows the cartridge owner to set a cartridge protection, once a such is being set the cartridges will only be accepted by printer used to enable this feature and that cannot be undone.

Turn off the HP Cartridge Protection setting, located in the Embedded Web Server. Please follow the steps listed below:

1. Obtain the printer's IP Address from the front panel of your printer:

Setup Menu > Wireless Menu > Display Network Configuration > Print Info

2. Open up a web browser and input the IP address exactly as you see it. (Ex. 192.168.0.00- Do not add a www. or .com)

3. This will open up the printer's Embedded Web Sever, click on the Settings option and to the left-hand side select HP Cartridge Protection and make sure this is disabled.

Hope to hear from your soon!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for your initial response. 

there had been no changes in hardware and the printer is wifi connected. 

the printer is new, well october 2016, i had just changed from the setup inks the previous week and maybe printed 50 pages. the situation arose when the printer had crashed (first instance). i had to hard reset by pulling the power lead out as holding the power button down did not work. when it rebooted the printer the protected cartridge installed message appeared and i could no longer print anything. 

rebooting the printer, reinstallig the same cartridge, going through the IP printer logon to change settings had no effect. in fact my web server settings are not set to protect the inks. 

i ended up havng to purchase a new cartridge and spares for all the others in case it happened again. i really needed to print that night and it nearly cost me my job. installing a new cartrige fixed the problem so i could print. but i do feel differently about HP products now. i own three officejet pro 8xxx printers in different countires and have always relied on the superior HP reliability and paid a premium for genuine equipment. now the inconvenience caused and difficuly getting any support other than return to base (which would mean no printer for 4 days). will making me think twice. i dont expect a premium product to fail over such an issue.

HP Recommended

Hi! @tfxuk7,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards

Chetan

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks I have responded today. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.