cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Will_Tracker Tutor
Tutor
2 1 0 5
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP's Scan Software Not Adhering to ISO PDF Standard

N/A
Other

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best medium to use, but calling HP has only left myself and my clients incredibly frustrated. 

Firstly, some background on myself: I work for a company called Tracker Software and we develop the PDF-XChange Product line (not sure on the rules around posting links, so I'll hold off on our site link for now). One of our products is a PDF Editor.

Our clients have been complaining that, when using our software to view documents created by scanning with HP scanners and the software that comes with it, they are receiving a notification in our application that the document is damaged and needs to be re-saved in order to be repaired.

These documents have not been created with our software, nor have they been modified in (in any way) with our software. We display this warning to our users to inform them of non-critical errors that should be fixed. Adobe and other competitors do not show this warning (as in, they have no mechanism for warning users of such errors). 

Upon investigation, we can see that this is happening because PDF documents created by HP's software have malformed XREF tables. HP do not adhere to the ISO PDF Standard (specifically Section 7.5.4).

The only test that is needed, is simply to scan to PDF using HP's software and in any other ISO compliant PDF editor/reader capable of scanning (e.g. Adobe Acrobat, the PDF-XChange Editor, etc.) and compare the XREF tables, then look at the Section 7.5.4 of the ISO Specification.

It would be much appreciated if the developers at HP could look into the problem and provide a solution to their (our) customers.

Thanks,

Will Travaglini

Technical Support Manager, North America
Tracker Software Products (Canada) Ltd.

1 REPLY 1
Will_Tracker Tutor
Tutor
2 1 0 5
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP's Scan Software Not Adhering to ISO PDF Standard

So I believe that it's safe to assume one of two things: 1) I'm posting in the wrong place and, if that's the case, can someone please tell me a more appropriate place? 2) HP are unwilling to acknowledge responsibility and fix the issue.

With the best will in the world, I believe it to be a combination of both, due to the frustrating hour long conversation I had with an HP support rep., wherein the rep. simply would not admit that HP even made software at all (patently untrue), and because I'm not seeing responses from HP reps. anywhere here. This is very disappointing.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation