Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
25 16 0 2
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

HP4100 Issue printing on letterhead

HP Recommended

I am trying to print something on letterhead paper.  I have letterhead loaded in tray 2, plain paper loaded in tray 3.  The Paper Handling section is set correctly.  I can print my stuff on letterhead no problem, but all of a sudden, it will refuse to print on letterhead.  I have to go in to the GUI of the printer, swap the trays in the Paper Handling from Plain to Letterhead and back, power-cycle the printer, and it will start printing on Letterhead for a few days.  Then it will revert back to printing on plain paper again.  I am at a loss as to what to try.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To start this sounds like it may be a configuration or communication issue. I am going to suggest that we start by removing the software and then installing the latest version of the software. If this leads to any further issues contact me again through this thread and I will continue to work with you on resolving it for good. 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=29118&prodTypeId=18972&...

-Spencer 

PS have a wonderful day and a fantastic weekend! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
25 16 0 2
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a tendency to think that it's not a configuration issue.  It worked for a long time with no issues, but for some reason, it would start printing what was supposed to be letterhead, on plain paper.  A quick swap of the paper handling, and a swap back, fixes the issue.

As for a connection issue, with it being a networked printer, I don't think it's that either.  Whatever is being printed is still printing out.

Can removing/reinstalling the software be done remotely?  I have 0 experience with that, so any step-by-step instructions would be helpful.

Also, any other posssible suggestions would be great!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The removal and reinstallation can happen remotely, but to give you more precise instructions I will need to know what OS you are using. 

Let me know and I will get right back with you! 

-Spencer 

PS have a wonderful day! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
25 16 0 2
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I believe I have found the cause of this issue.  This only seems to be happening when the paper tray runs out of letterhead.  If it runs out, and I refill it, I must power-cycle the printer before it realizes that the tray has more letterhead paper in it.

I am using Windows 7 Pro x64.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is fantastic to hear! I am glad you are back up and running, and if you ever have any further questions or issues I hope that you remember the experience you had here on the forums and know that me and my colleagues are here almost 24-7 to help support you and your needs.

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here!

-Spencer

PS have a wonderful day!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
25 16 0 2
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmm...  Following the same steps is no longer working...  Looks like I might have to try something else.

Also, does anyone know why this might happen in the first place?  This printer has been setup with this same configuration for years, and this only started happening a couple weeks ago.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
25 16 0 2
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think I might have found something...  I found this from an HP article:

When the HP LaserJet 4200 or 4300 series printer receives a print job, it selects the tray by trying to match the requested paper type and size with what has been loaded in the trays. Using an "auto-select" process, it searches all available trays for the paper that satisfies the request, starting with the bottom tray and ending with the top tray (Tray 1). The printer begins printing the job as soon as it finds the proper type/size.

My thought process on this is tray 2 has letterhead.  It runs out of paper, so the printer reverts to tray 3.  Once it has "accepted" tray 3, even if you put more letterhead back in tray 2, it's still using tray 3 since it's the bottom tray, and that's where it starts.  Resetting the trays/power-cycling the printer resets which tray it looks for.

Does this thought process make sense to anyone else?
Highlighted
Level 10
4,377 4,354 444 576
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think that you hit the nail on the head there. You would have to somehow force the printer to recognize the new paper, and I think that the best way for you to do this is to perform a hard reset on the device or you can monitor the paper usage and maintain paper in the machine at all times. 

-Spencer 

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation